Thread: Denali Highway landing strips

Default Denali Highway landing strips

Anybody know of any strips along the highway I could land a Cessna 150 on? Wanting to do some exploring 4th of July weekend. There is one on the west side of Susitna River but itís length in unverified! Anybody know the length? Would like to stay close to Alpine Creek Lodge!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    Anybody know of any strips along the highway I could land a Cessna 150 on? Wanting to do some exploring 4th of July weekend. There is one on the west side of Susitna River but itís length in unverified! Anybody know the length? Would like to stay close to Alpine Creek Lodge!
    That would be the Susitna Lodge Strip.

The Susitna River Lodge airstrip is to the east of the Susitna River. The other one usually has campers and trailers parked there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    The Susitna River Lodge airstrip is to the east of the Susitna River. The other one usually has campers and trailers parked there.
    Thought you wanted to be close to the Alpine Creek Lodge..........???? Just land on the Denali Haul Road, in front of the lodge.

Alpine Creek has a strip a little to the east of the lodge and on the other side of the road. I'm not sure of the length, though. Give Claude or Jennifer a call and they can fill you in.

AGL4now,

I though about that. Iíll go up there a weekend before to check things out before I commit to the trip.

The road is too tight now with all the alders and brush growing up along side of it. I think a really good cub driver might be able to land by the lodge, but I've yet to see one do it. Winds blowing up or down the mountain make it really tough too.

The Clearwater strip to the east of Alpine Creek is just under a 1000', but trees at either end make it a little tight.

The Susitna Lodge strip, to the west of Alpine Creek is 1700'.

The Road Commission strip right before the Big Su Bridge is about 1500'. It usually has campers on it on the 4th of July, but the last two years they've been on the edge and leaving room for planes.

Clearwater Mountain Lodge (old Gracious House Lodge) is a great place to stay and their strip is pushing 2000'.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks Doug, thatís what I was looking for!

Default Tangle lakes

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The road is too tight now with all the alders and brush growing up along side of it. I think a really good cub driver might be able to land by the lodge, but I've yet to see one do it. Winds blowing up or down the mountain make it really tough too.

The Clearwater strip to the east of Alpine Creek is just under a 1000', but trees at either end make it a little tight.

The Susitna Lodge strip, to the west of Alpine Creek is 1700'.

The Road Commission strip right before the Big Su Bridge is about 1500'. It usually has campers on it on the 4th of July, but the last two years they've been on the edge and leaving room for planes.

Clearwater Mountain Lodge (old Gracious House Lodge) is a great place to stay and their strip is pushing 2000'.
    Nothing at tangle lakes? The sectional shows an unimproved strip there?

Quote Originally Posted by eatwildgame View Post
    Nothing at tangle lakes? The sectional shows an unimproved strip there?
    Roughly 60'ish miles away. Long walk to the lodge.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Roughly 60'ish miles away. Long walk to the lodge.
    Fair assessment haha. I was asking for me personally if any one Had any experience with the strip at Tangle lakes.

I don't go east of Alpine Creek very often, so I'm unsure of the strips out there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem