Thread: Just Aircraft's Super Stol

Default Just Aircraft's Super Stol

I was at the local airport taking some lessons this past weekend and 1 of these was lined up behind me getting fuel. Never seen one before. Talked to the owner about it and turns out they are made (kits) right down the street in Walhalla, SC. VERY small town. Pretty cool. Anyone have any experience with these planes? Their videos online are pretty interesting. I am a newbie student pilot, but am interested in off-airport ops..once I have some real flying time in of course..

www.justaircraft.com

Look like a neat toy (and that isn't meant to be derogatory), but is it practical with the relatively low weight capacity(ies) it has?

.....and of course no one ever pushes the loading window, but I wonder how bad the performance decreases as one stuffs it to the gills?
    Back in AK

It will depend on your mission. For a simple off airport machine they would be very good. Don't expect to carry a big load, but two people and a light camp it would be great. No tailwheel steering on any that I have seen so not good for skis (I think it would not be hard to add.) Mission determines everything!!!
    DENNY

Yes, a fun toy was my opinion of it also. The guy flying it said it is not necessarily something you wanna fly cross country, but you "could". Certainly not going to pack the family in it with luggage and head anywhere. But, like the other post says- mission defines appropriate tool.

I have an escapade with highlander mods. The Escapade was the precursor to the highlander and the superSTOL is a highlander with a vastly different wing. The problem with the superstol is it's too heavy to carry much. A pair of TK1s and a competent pilot will land a highlander in 100ft or less. I have a useful load of 640lbs, which is in line with a lot of cubs legal useful. Cruise right at 100mph at 4.5gph. Gross weight takeoff and landing are right at 200ft.
    I hunt with it solo, or would need to take multiple trips if someone is with me. Fishing works fine.
    A superstol can for sure land shorter, but the takeoff distance is the same, which to me makes it irrelevant.

There's 2 big reasons I have one over a cub. First is the wings fold and I bring it home to do major work in my garage. I can't afford a hangar in Anchorage and refuse to drive an hour plus to fly my plane. Second, I can afford to fly the crap out of it with that fuel burn. Plus it burns(prefers) premium auto gas. The normal GA pilot is lucky if they get 100 hours a year in, and such low time per year is hilariously dangerous.

z987k
    So how many hours a year do I need to fly not to be hilariously dangerous?
    DENNY

Quote Originally Posted by boneguy View Post
    z987k
    So how many hours a year do I need to fly not to be hilariously dangerous?
    DENNY
    From what I've seen with other guys and myself, if you're not flying 50 hours a month, you're not truly proficient. So... 500ish. It's really hard to get to that skill level where you attach the airplane like an additional appendage of yourself when you have to pay all the costs.
    I have yet to feel half as comfortable in my personal planes as I do that one's I put 1000 hours a year in. I don't have the time nor can I afford to.

Nice airplane. You have to fly it at all times so Iíd agree that itís not the best x/c machine although plenty of folks do it. I think the building has become more streamlined and I understand that factory support is very good. For the pure joy of flying it or one of its competitors is hard to beat. Sort of like a classic car, not practical but a heck of a lot of fun if thatís your thing.

Quote Originally Posted by z987k View Post
    From what I've seen with other guys and myself, if you're not flying 50 hours a month, you're not truly proficient. So... 500ish. It's really hard to get to that skill level where you attach the airplane like an additional appendage of yourself when you have to pay all the costs.
    I have yet to feel half as comfortable in my personal planes as I do that one's I put 1000 hours a year in. I don't have the time nor can I afford to.
    I don't know any Part 91 guy who flies for himself that puts on 500 hours a year. That's a pretty tall order. I had a very good friend who had the time and money to own to own 2 airplanes, a house on Campbell Lake and Hangar Home in an Arizona airpark and tried to fly pretty much every day year around could "only" do about 350 hours a year at his peak. Basically an hour every day of the year on average. And that was only possible because of wintering in AZ where you have good VFR in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by bush_flyer View Post
    I don't know any Part 91 guy who flies for himself that puts on 500 hours a year. That's a pretty tall order. I had a very good friend who had the time and money to own to own 2 airplanes, a house on Campbell Lake and Hangar Home in an Arizona airpark and tried to fly pretty much every day year around could "only" do about 350 hours a year at his peak. Basically an hour every day of the year on average. And that was only possible because of wintering in AZ where you have good VFR in the winter.
    I know, it's almost impossible. Most private pilots put on in their entire life what someone at the top of their game does in a year to 18 months.