Thread: How long are dried capes good for?

Default How long are dried capes good for?

Found an old mule deer hide that was dried and folded in a container last week. This was supposed to be for my shoulder mount that was messed up. (Due to my own hastiness in field dressing and caping too short.) When I bought it my taxidermist said that it should last as long as it stayed dry. It's been in a large Rubber maid storage bin for many years. Feels just like it did years ago.
    It still needs tanning but it has been fleshed, dried and ears and lips turned
    Just wondering if I wasted my money by not having it done way sooner?
    It has the measurements on a ribbon still attached.

Thanks
    Steve

The answer is "maybe" and the only way you will know for sure is to get it tanned. Either it will tan or it will fall apart during the tanning. At our shop, our tannery will notify us if a cape starts to fall apart during the tanning process. If that happens, we call you, and let you know. You won't be out anything other than a bit of shipping.

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_O View Post
    Found an old mule deer hide that was dried and folded in a container last week. This was supposed to be for my shoulder mount that was messed up. (Due to my own hastiness in field dressing and caping too short.) When I bought it my taxidermist said that it should last as long as it stayed dry. It's been in a large Rubber maid storage bin for many years. Feels just like it did years ago.
    It still needs tanning but it has been fleshed, dried and ears and lips turned
    Just wondering if I wasted my money by not having it done way sooner?
    It has the measurements on a ribbon still attached.

Thanks
    Steve
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Thanks for the info.
    Steve