Thread: Granite Creek/East Fork Six Mile Trip Report 5/31

Default Granite Creek/East Fork Six Mile Trip Report 5/31

I floated Granite Creek into Six Mile today. I thought of putting in at the Bertha Creek Campground but there were a few trees stuck in the only convienient put-in for my 13í cat. It would be fine for packraft, IKs, etc. I was solo and donít feel like fighting the alders on either side of the logjam so I opted to put-in 2 miles downstream beneath the Seward Hwy bridge. From there itís about a 5 mile/2 hour float to the Six Mile whitewater put-in where I took out. I just bike shuttled back to the put-in prior to the float.

Granite Creek is a little skinny until past the campground where Canyon Creek enters from
    the left and almost triples the volume. There were no wood hazards that couldnít be avoided on 5/31 but there are a lot of logs available to change conditions at anytime. Use caution on this section.
    Attached Images Attached Images

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks for posting this one, thinking of floating it Monday in a14' round raft.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Is there any fishing on this float? I've eyed it for a long time but thought my 14' round was a little big.

Six Mile gets a decent run of pinks and silvers starting in the second half of July. Iím not sure how far up the pinks run, but Iíve seen silvers all
    the way up into Turnagain Pass abeam the northside pulloff. Iíve never fished the upper part of the drainage. Iíve made this run several times in my 15í round raft.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks again for the report. We floated kenai on Monday and six mile Tuesday. Kids had a great time.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Can you legally take a small jet boat upstream on the 6 mile river put in? Want to try my Russian inflatable jet boat!

I donít see why not. Iíd start at the whitewater put-in and not at the bridge closest to the Johnson Pass TH. The river is very shallow upstream from that bridge past Bertha Creek campground to the pass.