Thread: Espar D4 install

Default Espar D4 install

Last week I installed a D4 in a 25' Bayliner. Straight forward location to port as you step down into the wheelhouse and ducted to just one vent. We used a 3 gallon boat can to supply it from the fish box.
    Biggest pain in the rear ever is Espar wiring; the controller & fuel pump need to be wired from scratch and you basically "build" the connector with small components that are really a PITA.
    I strongly recommended to the gentleman that if he ever buys another boat and heater to go with the ease of the Planar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

I installed my heater on my 2556 inside the open space above the cabin and ran it to two ducts. kinda a pain to get yourself into those small openings but very clean instal and I just ran the wiring to the fuse panel on the fly bridge.

Yep. The Planar heaters that BKmail at BKMarine Services sells are completely plug and play. No messing around with wires cutting and splicing or anything. Iíve owned both brands now and Iíll never go back to ESPAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Yep! One thing I do like about the espar is it comes (via Advanced Diesel) with a mounting bracket that's machined out to allow the heater to be mounted on the short or long leg of the "L" bracket. No measuring, no drilling for the mounting holes, exhaust or intake.
    Also the digital thermostat Is pretty nice for ease of use, storing hours, etc.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quick...37553606260978

Do like my Espar. Has ran for 6 years without a whimper...did add the intake and exhaust mufflers to quiet it down.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Wiring wasnít that bad, it was intimidating so I tried to get advanced diesel to come to Old Harbor and install my D4 but they talked me thru it and it went perfect and was fairly simple. Just got to keep changing little fuel screen or put clean fuel in.

Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Yep! One thing I do like about the espar is it comes (via Advanced Diesel) with a mounting bracket that's machined out to allow the heater to be mounted on the short or long leg of the "L" bracket. No measuring, no drilling for the mounting holes, exhaust or intake.
    Also the digital thermostat Is pretty nice for ease of use, storing hours, etc.
    We sell the Planars with the mounting brackets that can be used to mount the heater in each direction....and I agree the Espar controller is much easier to use over the standard planar controller but once you get the hang of it, it works better.
    North River, Alweld and Phantom Boats, Mercury Marine, FNM Marine Diesel
    Hamilton, Kodiak, Almarine Jet
    Prop, Impeller repair, Planar Heater Sales & Installation
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yep. The Planar heaters that BKmail at BKMarine Services sells are completely plug and play. No messing around with wires cutting and splicing or anything. Iíve owned both brands now and Iíll never go back to ESPAR.

Yes sir, 3 plug and play connections, power, fuel pump, and controller.
    Fuel pump also has a clip but thats cake too.

Jim,
    We supply an aluminum L shaped bracket or custom made one for the boat, easy stuff.
    Bk

BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Yes the Planar wiring is easy. All of the connections are different sizes or shapes and only a gorilla could screw it up. Even the plumbing was easy to do. As for the controller, the instructions in the box were lacking but a little research I found exactly the verbiage I needed and printed them out. I don't foresee any issues now.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Where I work we install and maintain a lot of the Espar and Wabasto heaters ( air and hydronic ) and both are excellent products. I put the Planar heater in my boat from BK last year and it worked great and was a high quality product that was less expensive. If my Osprey boat deal goes through I will be getting another Planar this summer. Fred