Thread: Stubby. Help?

Exclamation Stubby. Help?

I transposed two numbers last night for the rounds I plan to shoot tomorrow morning. Now they're .18" shorter than I meant to load 'em.

These were meant to be the last two groups I shoot to prep for the early August goat hunt. All the others were the right length.

I can't get a fair comparison with the other loads if I shoot these, right?

Do I pull the bullets tonight and re-seat 'em at the right length, or would that bollox up the neck tension? (I've got primed cases, so I wouldn't re-size the necks first.) What if I tap the bullet puller a little at a time so I only partially pull the bullets, then re-seat to the right length? Still no good on the neck tension? Better than shooting 'em stubby?

Am I just stuck shooting these and loading new ones to the right length?

Help?

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 Mauser View Post
    What if I tap the bullet puller a little at a time so I only partially pull the bullets, then re-seat to the right length?

Help?
    Do that. The goats won't care. And you probably mean .018"

Can't you just see these old billys layin' around chewing their cud and griping about our ammo or bullets.

"Man if I get hunted this year, I hope that the hunter uses those new super premium bullets. Can you imagine being shot with a corelokt or a power point. Man that would suck."

Yeah, I know what you mean my brother-in-law was harvested a few years ago with a plain old 30-07 or somthin' like that with a round nose Sierra bullet." "Oh, sure he hit the skids but just the thought of such a plain bullet doin' ya in."

"I think I'd like to taken with those new plastic tipper, I bet they don't even hurt." "Yeah, me, too."
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    And you probably mean .018"
    Nope. OAL of 3.31" became 3.13" Not my brightest moment.

I had no idea game animals cared so much about cartridges and bullet selection. I always figured what mattered to them was being taken by a 300 or 400 yard shot, at the closest.

Can't you hear the oldest, gnarliest sheep on the mountain: "Y'know, the last ram in this group fell to a hunter only 125 yards away. One-twenty-five! Don't any of you let that happen, you hear me? I'll head butt your sorry fur right down a scree slope. If one of those hoo-mons ever gets me, he'll be shooting 600 yards if it's an inch!"

Smile

Dear Stubby,

Oh, I see. It was me that was a digit off. Wow! In that case just tap, tap, tap until they are slightly too long, then reseat to correct length.

I'm afraid the goats would be disappointed. That would add insult to injury. What is this bullet and caliber that would impress a goat, anyway?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Nothing special

It's one of them 30-07s your billy was complaining about.

But at least it's a highfalutin' bullet. I'm loading Kodiak 180-grainers. Today's shooting will determine whether they're flying at 2715 fps or 2760.

The poor, disappointed goats (should I find them at all) won't be able to tell the difference, but I want all the accuracy and downrange energy I can get. Because I know I'll be disappointing them on the long-range thing. (Do goats care about that, or is it only sheep?) I might shoot as far as 300 at a stationary goat if I can't get closer, but that's my outer limit...

So, no whiz-bang caliber, no plasti-tipped bullet, and no hail-mary shots. The poor goats might die of shame, even if my marksmanship doesn't bring one down...

Shame doesn't make the meat taste different, does it?