Thread: Shrimping Newbie success

Default Shrimping Newbie success

Finally got out on some flat waters this memorial day. First time shrimping and did ok for two 4 hour soaks in the canal. Only 2 pots on the boat and on our first pull the leading pot came up empty while the pot closes to the buoy had 18. Still trying to identify what happened. Our final pull had 12 on the leading pot and 18 on the second pot. Will definatley buy 2 more pots to improve the catch numbers. My homemade pot puller worked like a charm

On a side note we were able to locate a rockfish hole that produced decent sized fish consistantly. Went to search for halibit but couldnt locate a good bottom.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

A good chance that your first pot with 0 shrimp was suspended because you set in to deep of water. If your buoy feels really heavy, it means the pot was suspended, but bottom pot was fishing. You got shrimp though! My first year was many blanks and then one day you find them. Good luck!

Depth of the water plus at least 20-50 feet extra. If you drop with too little line the pots may hit bottom and then the tide picks up the last one as the tide swings. I always swing back and look at the buoy depth in the water and the action of it. The buoy spinning is my best indicator. Worst indicator is the buoy is under that water.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

more like 20% more buoyline than the depth your fishing.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by akdaniels View Post
    A good chance that your first pot with 0 shrimp was suspended because you set in to deep of water. If your buoy feels really heavy, it means the pot was suspended, but bottom pot was fishing. You got shrimp though! My first year was many blanks and then one day you find them. Good luck!
    There is 50ft of floating line between the pots and 500ft going back to the bouy. We fished in about 400ft and I noticed a trace of mud on one corner of the pot so our assumptions were it hit bottom but maybe just in the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Worst indicator is the buoy is under that water.
    Float test your set before you set it. Tie however many pots and all the gear together, then the most important part tie a line to the buoy, and toss the tied up set over and see if it floats, if it doesn't float retrieve with the line and add another buoy...repeat as necessary. I know it sounds like common sense but I would be willing to bet more than half the missing/stolen pots in the Sound are taken by heavy pots and light buoys.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Well done arima,

My first year I was happy with a small hand full in an area most say there are no shrimp to be had. Last year I put up well over 80 pounds of tails on a few trips, and I am by no means an expert. Make sure you flush your shrimp, the yellow color in the water on the second picture will destroy the shrimp flesh. I have a bucket with holes drilled in it to help rinse them since it fits in another bucket. You need to get their waste and blood, which is clear, out of them and away from their flesh especially if you want them to last for any amount of time. Flush only with salt water. Flush before you crack the heads off and flush after just on the tails, I do numerous flushes on each. I ate my last of my shrimp from the freezer from last year a week ago and they tasted just as fresh as when I put them away.
    “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Float test your set before you set it. Tie however many pots and all the gear together, then the most important part tie a line to the buoy, and toss the tied up set over and see if it floats, if it doesn't float retrieve with the line and add another buoy...repeat as necessary. I know it sounds like common sense but I would be willing to bet more than half the missing/stolen pots in the Sound are taken by heavy pots and light buoys.
    I believe just the opposite to be true. You never want to be able to float your set. A big wind or big tide will walk your pots away from where you left them with each wave until the water is deeper than your line. And off they go. We have all seen the bouys floating around in 2000 feet of water. Dont go too big with your floats.

Well done arima,

My first year I was happy with a small hand full in an area most say there are no shrimp to be had. Last year I put up well over 80 pounds of tails on a few trips, and I am by no means an expert. Make sure you flush your shrimp, the yellow color in the water on the second picture will destroy the shrimp flesh. I have a bucket with holes drilled in it to help rinse them since it fits in another bucket. You need to get their waste and blood, which is clear, out of them and away from their flesh especially if you want them to last for any amount of time. Flush only with salt water. Flush before you crack the heads off and flush after just on the tails, I do numerous flushes on each. I ate my last of my shrimp from the freezer from last year a week ago and they tasted just as fresh as when I put them away.
    Thanks for the flushing tip. I wondered what that stuff was.

They're the best shrimp i've ever tasted by far. We're already planning a trip next week if the weather cooperates. Going to grab 2 more pots and spice up the shrimp pellets a bit with oils and leftover pink carcases.

Quote Originally Posted by arima17sc View Post
    Thanks for the flushing tip. I wondered what that stuff was.

They're the best shrimp i've ever tasted by far. We're already planning a trip next week if the weather cooperates. Going to grab 2 more pots and spice up the shrimp pellets a bit with oils and leftover pink carcases.

ED andy bag4.jpgyou might consider one of my multi use rope totes for purging your shrimp. They hold all the rope for 2 sets of pots with room to spare and they can be hung over the side of the boat to purge the shrimp or wash off fish fillets and bleeding fish. If it were me try fishing some straight pellets vs the oiled up concoction, i've tried and don't see any difference and straight pellets are a lot less messy. Figure out which way the ground runs, learn how the hit that bottom, plenty of weight in the pots,have plenty of buoyline and see what happens. Oh get some good fishing pots, they all catch shrimp some just catch a lot better than others.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    I believe just the opposite to be true. You never want to be able to float your set. A big wind or big tide will walk your pots away from where you left them with each wave until the water is deeper than your line. And off they go. We have all seen the bouys floating around in 2000 feet of water. Dont go too big with your floats.
    To each their own. I leave more than plenty to account for tides and generally don't set when it's so windy that it will blow my pots out to sea. Right now I run two pot sets and they have two small buoys that will float each set. I guess I would rather chance my pots somehow being blown a little ways away and floating than being blown a few feet away and lost for ever. Maybe if I set my pots and left them for a week at a time I would think differently, but I like to go through my gear so I don't stray far.

It was humor..... only did that once and it was 2 feet under.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Will be heading out again tomorrow morning for more shrimp. Hopefully we get at least 2x As the last trip with now 4 pots (2 on each string)