Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First jet boat. First impressions.

Iím pretty sure I wonít be running shallow for a while yet,
    Need to spend some time with this thing before I decide to start running riffles. The chisel edged grates makes perfect sense, so does the plate off the back of the tunnel. Iíve got a good screw driver and I have never seen a stomp grate. Only jet boat Iíve rode in was a Cordova bow picker and mayhays big boat up to devils canyon. Thatís the limit of my jet experience until now.
    Iím not sure was size the Jet is. Where is that measurement taken?

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Great info thanks. Iím tail heavy big time right now. Gonna have some pods added me thinks.
    Pods are great, make sure they angle up from the transom slightly, otherwise they can hold the bow down and create bow steering issues. Reason is they extend the planing surface behind the powerplant.
    Spin.... wag your tail, cut one direction, than hard the other direction whilst applying throttle... lots of throttle.... 180 degrees or more guaranteed... Make sure passengers are ready...
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

Lol got it! Thanks gramps!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Need to spend some time with this thing before I decide to start running riffles. The chisel edged grates makes perfect sense, so does the plate off the back of the tunnel. Iíve got a good screw driver and I have never seen a stomp grate. Only jet boat Iíve rode in was a Cordova bow picker and mayhays big boat up to devils canyon. Thatís the limit of my jet experience until now.
    Iím not sure was size the Jet is. Where is that measurement taken?
    The boat will perform differently in shallow water. The back end will lift somewhat when you come into shallower water. Depending on the hull, you may have to lower the tilt of the motor to control turns in tight shallow water/creeks. You will get better mileage in straight wide rivers if you tilt it up until it starts cavitating - then drop it down a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered about motor tilt with the jet.
    Master guide 212

I know a guy that lost his wife and kid when his boat spun 180 degrees and capsized. Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by rain4est View Post
    The boat will perform differently in shallow water. The back end will lift somewhat when you come into shallower water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When your running the Tanana and you feel the boat hump up, you just pucker up and pray... and for gawds sake dont let off the throttle.....!
    ďNothing worth doing is easyĒ
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    When your running the Tanana and you feel the boat hump up, you just pucker up and pray... and for gawds sake dont let off the throttle.....!
    Truth! When in doubt, power out!

It's a strange sense of anticipation, fear and excitement all balled up in one.

Riding the hump can become an addiction. Just pay very close attention to whatís ahead. And for sure stay on the throttle and pray for a happy ending.
    North River, Alweld and Phantom Boats, Mercury Marine, FNM Marine Diesel
    Hamilton, Kodiak, Almarine Jet
    Prop, Impeller repair, Planar Heater Sales & Installation
    Visit www.akfrontierfab.com

I read the rivers by wave sizes, the smaller the ripple the skinnier it is , the bigger wave the deeper it is! and when your in a airboat you try to run on a 1nch or so of water and stay away from the deep!

Supporting Member

Also the big slow swirls mean deep water, silty rivers are bucjets o fun. Dark slightly choppy/riffled water ahead=sand/gravel bar with not much over it....smack

Quote Originally Posted by KantishnaCabin View Post
    There is no stomp grate, you will be picking out the rocks with a screw driver.
    http://www.explorerindustries.com/in...1&page_id=1031

I have not tried it but it might be handy for shallow running.

Quote Originally Posted by alcesalces4 View Post
    http://www.explorerindustries.com/in...1&page_id=1031

I have not tried it but it might be handy for shallow running.
    Stanley has one on his outboard. Worked well enough when we would run together.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Way back when Karold's welding used to have stomp grates for outboards. If you have a little bit of skill they are easy to build, 3/8 SS rod with a brace to a fin, to a plate welded to every other grate bar and that's it. I ran one for years and it saved me more than once in the Copper river.

So true! i put my head through the windshield one night on the Tanana when the boat came to a sudden halt in 1.5 inches of water.

You take the boat out on the rivers yet? And did ya find the sweet spot for the motor I got the same setup took it out to fingerlake last night. Seemed like it ran best cranked all the way up on the jack plate. And trimmed up a little bit. Whats your experience ?

Havenít rivered it yet. Been working. I found I had to run it higher up than I thought I would. Havenít played with the trim yet.
    Master guide 212

Funny thing about that. The shallows tend to sneak up on you!

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Riding the hump can become an addiction.
    Ahmen! So fun! From a carbon footprint perspective, it's the responsible thing to do

I prefer to trim mine to where it does not cavitate on gentle turns, but will if I really crank it. Seems to be the best performance without cavitating all the time. As far up as possible on the jack plate, then usually up about 2-3 seconds on the tilt. If I have do a bunch of turning, I tilt down slightly. IMO a lot of preventing a spinout is how you enter the turn. It's all about attitude! I think you will like float pods. I've heard that if properly designed/installed they will also help with the tunnel effect when running. They also help you not pump dirt during a holeshot in the shallows.

My advice - when you do run shallow and inevitably put it on a bar - kill it. If you're used to running props, your instinct will be to put it in neutral and tilt up. You'll pump dirt for a minute while trying to get the motor out. Just kill it first. Your impeller and sleeve will thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12