Thread: 450-400 3"

Thumbs up 450-400 3"

Yikes! I just went to my favorite local shop and low-and-behold he had a Ruger No.1 450-400 N.E. for $750! Doggonit...now it's got me thinking!

I KNOW I'll like it, I'm only wondering about brass and bullet availability, as well as dies. Anyone have experience? Murphy?

Oh yea, they also had a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan (.375 Ruger) for $790.

Dave

BUY IT!!!! They did not make many in that chambering. It will do what ever you want, when it comes to killing.

Talking Ha!

Big Al says "Buy it", so I did!

I was himmin & hawwin about it for a couple of hours, looking up everything I could online and finally decided to get it...with 5 min. to go before the store closed! Strangely, I called them and they said they'd stay open for me! Cool beans!

I'd still like to get any input from anyone in the know about ammo/brass/bullet availability though. Thanks.

Dave

Dave,

Yeah I've loaded for that thing in doubles, singles and even one slant box Mauser. But I was out shooting and couldn't get to the PC in time. If big AL had kept his big trap shut, :-) I could have maybe talked you into letting me in on the shop name and well let's just say you wouldn't need load data. Dadgunnit!! Oh well I'm still looking. I'll have to find someway to get even with AL or maybe he could help find one (hint).

I have dies and brass and bullets. Hornady is making brass and loaded ammo I hear a 400 grain soft point is coming from them. The No. 1 405 WCF is a .411 groove and I guess the 450/400 is also. Same barrel different chamber that way.
    Last edited by Murphy; 07-21-2007 at 19:49.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Wink Sorry Murph!

It almost seems like I got the only one around. Ruger doesn't even list it on their website, at least not under No. 1 Tropicals. I did come across this at 24hrcampfire though;

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=483

Kind of a cool video presentation with the good Col. Boddington.

Thanks alot Big Al! Oh yea, thanks Nitroman for the link. I've been there before but forgot about that site. I did pick up the latest Barnes manual which has some load data in it. Oh and Murphy, according to Hornady, the bullets they make are .410 but I haven't been able to confirm the .411 groove of the rifle, seeing as how it must be top secret or something.

Dave
    Last edited by AKWannabe; 07-22-2007 at 00:42. Reason: Added a bit more

Last one I saw was on GunsAmerica dot commie. The shop that had the gun was in (Wi)? They had six of them. You got to do a web search for them on gunsAh merica. Good luck. As to that bunch of foren pri_ks on the loading foeum, I got banned there years ago for getting after the rags that was insulting my country.

My bad, it was Aution Arms where I saw them. I just did a check on GA and did not see any listed.

I have a link to a new stainless action for $449 in 405 Win. PM me if you want the link (as I think that auction links are taboo).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I have a link to a new stainless action for $449 in 405 Win. PM me if you want the link (as I think that auction links are taboo).
    Thanks RG,

not sure if that was meant for me or just anyone reading this thread that might be interested. I'm set for No.1's right now though! I think before I buy any more, I'll save some $ and head up that way and use the one I've got now!

Dave

P.S.- You never know though, it's hard telling what might happen if I run across a 9.3X74, or if they come out with a .450 N.E.!

I try and never discourage a fellow shooter from buying more guns, just remember, the one you just bought will kill anything you want to kill. As long as you do your part with loading and shooting.

Default 450-400 3"

Hi all just joined here! From Kasilof AK name Joe work at red dog mine AK.I am having double rifle being made in 450-400 3" has anyone here used double made by Gordon Harms from state NE.So far he has my double grouping 1" at 50 yards .

Quote Originally Posted by joec4570 View Post
    Hi all just joined here! From Kasilof AK name Joe work at red dog mine AK.I am having double rifle being made in 450-400 3" has anyone here used double made by Gordon Harms from state NE.So far he has my double grouping 1" at 50 yards .
    Not familiar with him. Does he have a website? Friends and I have double shoots regularly in Anchorage/valley area. Let us know when you're coming up.

Brett

Hi Brett,
    He has email gharms@neb.rr.com. He is in NRA hunting mag this month.builds from 222 too 450-400 nitro starting $4500.
    I hang out in Anchorage when on R&R from red dog mine hope hook up with you,building cabin in Kasilof