Thread: Pulling Pots By Hand

Default Pulling Pots By Hand

I was out a few weeks ago, with three strings out in the 450-600ft range, two with one pot and one string with two. Wouldn't you know it, my puller crapped out when 50' into the first string. I started pulling them manually, and after a bit I decided that using my mind would be more productive than my muscle, which clearly was going to be whipped by the third string.

My first attempt was to use a buoy with an short line and an anchor pulling ring, which I had from my last boat. I did not want to pull hard since I did not want to strip the pots off, so I pulled at idle, which did not work really well. I did notice that when I put the boat in gear and idled away from the pots the kited up, so I did this for a bit with the pot line cleated off, and them kicked it into reverse and retrieved the line quickly and without effort. All it took was three cycles of this and I had the string up. I repeated it on the other two strings, and it worked well, with no lost gear. This may even be a reasonable approach for people not wanting to spring for a puller, but definitely pull towards deep water.

The other lesson learned was that when I got back it was clear that there was corrosion in the motor. After some calls, I ended up at Auto Electric on Post road, hoping they could fix it. The guy came out with a exact replacement for around $200 (it is a Safe-T-Puller) but there is hope if you have a pot puller failure in Anchorage.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Supporting Member

Used to long line for halibut by hand. 4 to 6 skates of gear. A skate is 1800 feet. Reminded me of pulling haywire out logging back in the day.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

After 10 years our puller failed 50' into the first string on the shrimp opener, pulled both strings by hand that morning, it sucked.
    Good to know a local shop can help us out.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Clip a bucket to your anchor pulling ring and it will produce more drag as you idle away.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I used to use the bouy to lift my pots, but instead of the ring, I used the plastic sleeve with the bolt through it so the line will only slide through in one direction. As mentioned earlier, you need a good deal of drag on the bouy, so we tied on a bucket. Worked great!

It's slow and loud, but I have had to use my windless before.