Thread: Incoming or Outgoing?

Default Incoming or Outgoing?

Which is better? Every says to fish the incoming tide, but I've always felt I had the best results on the outgoing tide and at low tide. What is the collective wisdom of the group?

Seriously... Any thoughts...

Default Either

To tell you the truth, I don't think it makes a big difference if the fish are running. At least in my experience....i've done well at all phases of the tide...incoming and outgoing, high and low. Actually, now that I think about it, I think i've actually done a little better during the outgoing tide.

outgoing and low slack tide produced the best for me on Friday.

Default Tide depends on location

I posted about our experience on Friday, but here's my take, briefly:

If you're dipping at the mouth of the river or from the beach, the tide doesn't have as much to do with it as the wind. If the wind is blowing toward shore, the fish seem to be there regardless of tide. The dipping on Friday got furious from about an hour before low tide to ....well, we left two hours before the next high tide because we had our limits, but the fish were being landed like crazy at that time.

Up river, near the bridge, I don't think the tide has anything to do with it. The bridge area is far enough from the mouth that fish swimming upstream there have been in the river a while, maybe even half a day or more.

The rule is this: If you don't have your net in the water, you will not catch anything. The fish will enter the river because their genes tell them to, not because of tides or time of day or water temperature. If the fish are moving in schools, it simply does not matter what the tide is. These "experts" each year find some reason to explain why fish are being caught at times that conventional wisdom says they shouldn't be. The "experts" at ADF&G can't come close to getting a good estimate of the size of the return each year.

So, here's my "expert" advice: Don't dip before July 19, because history says that in an average year there are fewer fish entering the river. Dip like crazy after that, and you're likely to get more fish.

There is no way to predict the exact day the fish enter the river. The only constant that I can see from one year to the next is the angle of the earth to the sun each day. Like so many of our animals, salmon might be just as influenced in their behavior by diurnal events as they are by water salinity, water temperature, turbidity, winds, river ice breakup, mountain runoff, and all the other factors the "experts" rely on to excuse their inaccurate predictions each year.

And, finally, remember that the weir counts are counting fish that entered the river about 24 hours earlier, so a Thursday count is telling you about fish that probably entered on Wednesday, and the count isn't posted until Friday, so what good is that information? Not much.

Default Take it easy

Bibico;

Relax a smidge brother, the ADF&G guys do their best with what they have just like the rest of us. The OTF index was epic and continues to produce high numbers and towards the middle/end of the run it's a pretty darn accurate count of the populations and WHICH system they are heading for. You nailed it as far as the wind blows; the South or Southwest winds have a lot to do with blasing the fish into the rivers from the middle of the inlet and the F&G guys put the counter way up the river to get an accurate count of the fish that belong in that river and not just hanging out in the mouth and then moving to a different one. We enjoy a yearly supply of fish becuase those F&G guys bust their butts and minds to ensure that the stocks stay healthy and in good enough numbers to support all user groups from the commercial to the sport folks and a little appreciation in place of slander would be more appropriate considering we've seen banner years due to their efforts. I'm not trying to start an arguement and you are entitled to your opinion but I, for one, think those F&G guys are Top Shelf.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32