Thread: Fishing in Anchorage

Default Fishing in Anchorage

I'm a Canadian Military member who's going on TD to Elmendorf at the end of this month and I'm thinking about bringing my freshwater gear (med/heavy spinning rod/reel w/6lb spiderwire)

Curious as to what the licensing rules are (cost, etc) and some of the best spots are near Anchorage. I'm looking for grayling, trout, etc. Not interested in salmon at all.

I'll have a rental car but need to stick close to town (no more than 20 minutes away).

Much appreciated,
    Sean.

Default upper ship creek.

I think a non-res lic is 100 bucks for the year.

You can fish near the base at upper ship creek, but for rainbows. I don't know of to many grayling areas around anchorage (20 minutes anyway). IN about an hour drive north you can access many more, willow, sheep, little su. montana. Or some of the wasilla area lakes have grayling. (wasilla is about an hour northwest). HEck even lower ship creek has pretty good rainbow fishing. Good luck.

I'm only going to be there for 3 days. How much is a "weekend" licence (if such a thing exists)

Quite expensive I want to say 30 dollars

http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/
    You can buy online. Non resident and non resident alien 35 bucks for 3 days.
    Bird creek isn't far from anchorage. Great for silvers.

Default fishing lic.

non resident. 1 day $20.00 3 day $35.00 7 day $55.00
    14 day $80.00
    Active duty military is $24.00 pr season(ck it out)

Seems to me that there is fishing on base as well. El and the other one. Small lakes with rainbows, maybe some grayling.

Beach lake on the South Birchwood exit (north of the base right off the hwy, and maybe 3 exists from the base) is usually good for some small trout.

Eklutna tailrace on the old glenn hwy has some trout, but is a terminal run for silvers as well and will be a zoo.

Mirror lake (2 exits north of the base) MAY have fish, but I have never fished it.

There are some alpine lakes above eagle river. (1 exit north of the base)

Then in Anchorage all I can think if is upper ship creek.

Bird creek was mentioned and it is 30 minutes south of anchorage, and is a salmon fishery. Glacier creek in Girdwood (40 minutes south) has some trout/salmon/maybe grayling and is very lightly fished. (has few fish from what I have heard).

Wish I could be more helpful. I usually fish the quartz, crecent, Kenai for trout when I go or one of the local lakes.

There are several lakes on Elmendorf AFB and Ft. Richardson for fly fishing or use uncooked shrimp (they love 'em!) for trout and land-locked salmon. I've pulled some decent trout out of the Hillberg, Green and Upper Six Mile lakes. This was during the early mornings or late evenings when it was cooler. I've also heard that Otter, Clunie & Gwen lakes on Ft. Richardson have some nice trout in there for bank fishing if you don't take a boat or canoe.

I've ventured to the upper part of Ship Creek outside of the Post Road gate at Elmendorf AFB and have seen several BIG rainbows at the bridge or a few hundred feet downstream from the Post Road bridge. That was a couple of years ago but going now should be a good time with egg & flesh patterns. I plan on hitting that area pretty soon...

For both Grayling & Rainbows it would be a better bet to flow up north of Anchorage towards Willow. There are several areas to park off the Parks Highway to include going to Willow & Montana Creeks. Best suggestion I have is to talk to those who you will be working with at the unit you are assigned. I'm sure there are plenty of guys willing enough to point you in the right direction or even take you to a few choice spots.

Just remember to grab this year's AKF&G regulation book at the Base Exchange to reference the areas you will be fishing. The rules are pretty quirky based on where you go and are not always the same for every area. You can also purchase your fishing license there, too, and they have a pretty decent selection of flies & fishing gear. The guys at the Sporting Goods section in the BX are great at helping military members here on TDY.

Thanks for all the help guys. Asking people I work with will be irrelevant because we're flying up on Saturday and leaving on Monday morning. Just up for pilot trainers, etc...not stationed there.

Tex, you sound like you know what you're talking about (not that the others didn't). I'll check out the BX. Might get a season licence because I never know when I could fly up again. Now that I've seen your profile, if you're working this weekend, we'll be the Canadian P3.

Again, much appreciated guys.

Happy fishing.

Check your PM, 11th...

Cheers

Lots of little rainbows in Green lake and Hilberg on Elmendorf. Panther Martins and mepps work well along with salmon eggs or worms.

Sorry to hijack your thread - but I'm in a similar situation (except with a little more time)

I am in Anchorage for about 3 weeks. I am looking for some places to fish after work on weekdays (preferably within an hour drive) and some places on weekends. Here's my goals:

Catch a grayling - from what I read, crescent lake should be a nice place. I don't mind a long hike as long as I don't get lost. I will try to go up there on the weekend. I am a spin fisherman so I would guess small spinners/spoons might work? C&R

Catch a dolly varden - where are some good places for dollies? C&R

Catch a few nice rainbows - I will probably want to catch some rainbows - might take 1 or 2 so I don't want to have too long of a hike if I'm going to pack one out.

Catch a silver - I'll head down to bird creek to try for some silvers. I have a medium action rod with a spinning reel filled with 8 lb test. Do you think that will be sufficient or should I try a rental/buy?

Perhaps catch a pike - would like to c&r a pike, but also worried that my tackle might be too light.

I'll be heading to a couple of the tackle stores recommended, but wonder if anyone else has any input?

Thanks

A lot of the Kenai penisula rivers and creeks have dollys\char.
    Rainbows are in most of the area streams but I would head up to the matsu valley for them. you can regularly find 16 to 18 inch trout along the parks streams.
    Thats slightly light for silvers if there is much of a current, but I am sure you could use that at eclutna trail races. The water there is almost stagnant.
    I have heard there are pike in fire lake out by eagle river, but I usually go out to Nancy lakes area. Your equipment should be fine for pike.

Good luck

thanks for the info. seems like most of those places are up around wasilla/palmer. I will have to make sure to get a map of that area.