Thread: What Scat is that?

Default What Scat is that?

I found this small pile on the backside of my lot. It's 1-1.5 inches long and 1/4 inch in diameter. Looks to be used often from the bottom stuff being light in color and dry vs moister darker stuff on top. No, I didn't touch, taste or smell it. For the Cheech and Chong fans out there I doubt it's "Labrador". Any wisdom is appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	95953

I'm going with Grouse. Probably deposited in a snow burrow during this past winter.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Good point. Thanks

Yep, taiga is right. Grouse it is. Ptarmigan looks like that too, but I'm guessing from the broadleaf deciduous birch leaves on the ground, that you didn't find this scat in a location where ptarmigan dwell.

Correct on the Birch leaves Jack. It blows my mind how much wildlife can be overlooked in my own backyard. I've lived in this house for over 7 years and have never seen or heard a grouse flying or walking across any part of the lot. Yet here is evidence. Lol! Would be cool to see one with some chicks in tow roaming the yard.