Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: $310 fine? No wonder they do this!

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Because responsibility is always someone else's fault.
    No not at all. Because they are extremely inconsistent in what they call legal sheep and will fully admit they let ďclose to full curl ď slip by. And they make the most difficult rules on what is considered full cure!!!!!!

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    How is this ADF&G's fault? The Board of Game writes regulations and the Troopers enforce them. The Department of Law prosecutes and judges determine punishment.
    Spend some time with the bios and see what they let go without confiscation

  3. #23
    Member bushrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Now residing in Fairbanks from the bush
    Posts
    4,287

    Default

    Right now, ADF&G is the only agency determining Dall sheep legality when you have your horns sealed. Some may not be aware that the Board of Game changed the methods that can be used to determine legality. There are now three ways to determine full-curl:
    1) the Perfect Circle test
    2) the stick method (as used in Canada)
    3) the horn base/tip angle test

    https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/h...regulation.pdf

    And one last method, counting annuli. Which as many here know, there are often disagreements among ADFG staff on aging horns. But as far as determining full curl, you just have to pass one of the FC tests to be legal, which is a big improvement imo.

  4. #24
    Member Roper85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Your the one trying to compare Sublegal ram taking by a resident as you say that didn't take the time to learn versus a guy who blatantly said ph uck the law I'm going hunting as a resident oh and go shoot a Brn bear on Kodiak as well. I'm sure he felt like he didn't do anything wrong.. so your saying every year several illegal rams are being shot out of this area hmmm..
    I stated it wasnt exactly the same. Ill make sure to run topics by you next time, wouldnt want to offer any interesting information.

  5. #25
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Spend some time with the bios and see what they let go without confiscation
    Thanks for the clarification - I didn't understand what you were getting at. I've certainly seen what you're referring to. The last time we had a sheep sealed I was pretty shocked that the one in front of us was sealed, much less shot. To make it worse, it was shot at the recommendation of a guide who, in my opinion, should have known better. Of course, it was deemed legal, so what do I know?

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the clarification - I didn't understand what you were getting at. I've certainly seen what you're referring to. The last time we had a sheep sealed I was pretty shocked that the one in front of us was sealed, much less shot. To make it worse, it was shot at the recommendation of a guide who, in my opinion, should have known better. Of course, it was deemed legal, so what do I know?
    It is my understanding that the biologists determine the degrees of curl and enforcement makes the call about issuing tickets or confiscating at least in Fairbanks. At least with some of the pictures it looks like degrees of curl can be pretty accurately figured out.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,984

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for the clarification - I didn't understand what you were getting at. I've certainly seen what you're referring to. The last time we had a sheep sealed I was pretty shocked that the one in front of us was sealed, much less shot. To make it worse, it was shot at the recommendation of a guide who, in my opinion, should have known better. Of course, it was deemed legal, so what do I know?
    I hear you buddy. My bad I could of been a bit more clear. Iíd just honestly like to see some consistency. Any guide that haves a client shoot a sheep like that should be fired ( if he works for someone that is. ) Folks just gotta her out of the gotta kill mentality and be willing to pass when not sure. Iím certain Iíve left a pile of ďlegalĒ sheep on the mountain but Iím ok with my decisions

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    18

    Default

    From my understanding the individual has lived here 4+ years but has failed to meet the 12 consecutive months rule because he travels 3-4 months out of the year for work. Thatís where they are getting him on the residency charges.

  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peter033 View Post
    From my understanding the individual has lived here 4+ years but has failed to meet the 12 consecutive months rule because he travels 3-4 months out of the year for work. Thatís where they are getting him on the residency charges.
    Law is pretty cut and dry. I was born here, moved away, came back worked and lived for years without the intention to stay for more than 3-9 months at a time. As an Alaskan born and raised I bought nonresident commercial and sport licenses, didn't file for the PFD, and I also didn't hunt because the cost involved. When I finally moved back for good I bought a nonresident sport fishing license the first year, when my year was up I bought my hunting/fishing/trapping license, then I filed for the PFD after the calendar year was up. To do otherwise cheats all Alaskans.
    "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle." - G.I. Joe

  10. #30
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan54 View Post
    Law is pretty cut and dry. I was born here, moved away, came back worked and lived for years without the intention to stay for more than 3-9 months at a time. As an Alaskan born and raised I bought nonresident commercial and sport licenses, didn't file for the PFD, and I also didn't hunt because the cost involved. When I finally moved back for good I bought a nonresident sport fishing license the first year, when my year was up I bought my hunting/fishing/trapping license, then I filed for the PFD after the calendar year was up. To do otherwise cheats all Alaskans.
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Patsfan54 again."
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  11. #31

    Default

    Guess I'm a little foggy on this residence thing, I've read the statute and it still leaves some uncertainty. Did this individual claim residence in CA as well as AK? If so, then that is problem. However if he was only claiming AK as his sole residency, it might not be prudent to get out the tar and feathers so quickly.

    So just for my curiosity as I might be looking at changing residency 20 years down the road, what does the maintain residency for 365 consecutive days. So does that mean you can't, leave or just that you're primary residence be an alaskan residence.

    Also, to keep your residency what is required. Can a guy get out for the winter and then come back in April and still be a resident? I don't like the heat and I'm starting to not like the cold, so I'm looking to keep the temps between 35 and 75 all year long. It saves on the clothes I need to have.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •