Thread: Scope fixing on Rifle

Default Scope fixing on Rifle

Just mountedthe Scope (Leupold 1.25-4x VX-R), 30 mm ring bore, on my 308 Sako Carbine. Therings are Sako with 4 Screws M3.5x0.6 (2 at each side) and with plastic insert.The Screws are Stainless-Steel (not soft black one).

Question 1:how it is important to use LockTite for screws.

Question 2:how it is important to glue the ring plastic to the Scope tube to prevent theScope moving. If this is recommended,

1a. do I needto stick at both front and back rings,
    1b. do I needto apply glue to the whole contact area
    1c. whichglue to use. Note that I am in Canada so availability is political and limited,but I do have clear Gorilla impact-tough glue which I use for fletching myArrows with feathers, and also I have Krazy glue.

I use blue Loctite and just a little dab will do you do not have to cover all of the threads. I wouldn't use Gorilla glue or Krazy glue because if for some reason you switch out the bases or rings they will be a pain in the ***** to ever get them screws out. Make sure you use a torque wrench or torque screwdriver and torque them to whatever the manufacture says because if they are too tight that would have the same effect as if they are too loose. I like to use the talley one piece base and rings just a little easier to use and you don't have to lap them either. Hope this helps.

In a 308 (and in almost every cartridge) you do not need to glue that scope rings - there's not enough force to warrant it and if you ever decide to remove the scope you could end up buying new rings.
    a drop on the bases is ok, but not on the rings.

I use liquid electrical tape on my 1.5-5 rings. But itís a 6lb 416. For all my other rifles Iíve never added anything to keep a scope from sliding.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I usually use rubber cement between scope and rings......excess will squeeze out....let dry and flick off with finger nail.