Thread: The Gulkana Report-May 16th 2018

Default The Gulkana Report-May 16th 2018

Good morning all:

Well we have received a bunch of calls and e-mails in the past 2 weeks about the condition of the river so I guess it must be time for our first Gulkana River Report of the new season!

The lower river is open and floatable. There is still shelves of ice on many of the banks and LOTs of sweepers in the water. I have floated the river this early a few times and it is a challenge because of the flow and the amount of junk-trees/branches in the water. Lots of stuff to get hooked up on. If your planning on doing a trip before June 1st I suggest that you make sure your raft is up to the task and that you have a repair kit on hand. I sent a group down the Gulkana to the Copper with a pull out at Chitna early last season and really wished I had not. The ice shelves caused some floor damage and a sizable repair to one of my new rafts. Most of us don't understand how much damage ice can do to a raft so understand it is sharp stuff!

We will open for the season on June 8th this year which will be in time for the early King run. Last summer we had Kings in the river by June 2nd but it was warmer and that pushed the fish up from Cordova real early. I don't know what to expect for this years King run but if it is anything like 2017 it will be a great season. Our groups landed many, many ok.....many kings last summer and the Reds were hopping as well.

Paxon Lake is still holding ice and we don't expect it will break open anytime soon as there is LOTS of snow up that way. Best guess is June 5th or so..

Gear: We have added 2 more 14/15 foot rafts this year and our fleet of SOAR Pro-Pioneers has grown as well. We currently have 22 inflatables including 5 SOAR Pro-Pioneers and 6 Fish Cats. Prices have not changes this season but demand is expected to be high most weekends.

We are operating on the following rivers:

Upper Copper
    Lower Copper-Chitna to Cordova
    Gulkana top to bottom
    Delta
    Nelchina to Tazlina

We are also offering World Class Dolly fishing on the Wulik, Kelly and Kug Rivers in NW Alaska as well. Most of our groups land in excess of 100 fish in the 13-18 pound range and most will land a few over 20 pounds. The worlds record is a nice 27.7 pound spawner landed on the Wulik! Give us a call and the best time is mid to late August.

If you have any questions just drop me a line @ gulkanariverrafts@gmail.com and we will see ya on the water! I will do my best to keep updates coming about every 5-7 days.

Walt
    907-259-4290
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Pics!

How about some more pics?
    Attached Images Attached Images