Thread: Any knife makers here? I got a question...

Default Any knife makers here? I got a question...

I found a good quality (I think...) chefs knife at a garage sale. It is a 10" knife. I've found that I really like my 8" knife better and hardly use the 10". It's the top one in the pic attached.

My question is can I cut down the 10" knife to 8"? I have never done any knife work and very little metal work in general. I have a Work Sharp sharpener - the little mini belt sander device, a bench grinder and a Dremel tool. I thought I might cut it to rough shape with the Dremel and then finish it up with the Work Sharp.

I sure appreciate any advice!

IMG_2901.jpg
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Quote Originally Posted by aces-n-eights View Post
    I found a good quality (I think...) chefs knife at a garage sale. It is a 10" knife. I've found that I really like my 8" knife better and hardly use the 10". It's the top one in the pic attached.

My question is can I cut down the 10" knife to 8"? I have never done any knife work and very little metal work in general. I have a Work Sharp sharpener - the little mini belt sander device, a bench grinder and a Dremel tool. I thought I might cut it to rough shape with the Dremel and then finish it up with the Work Sharp.

I sure appreciate any advice!

IMG_2901.jpg
    I would take my time on the bench grinder and slowly take the spine down. Donít let the steel get hot by taking time between passes on grinder and keeping temps down.
    Donít grind on the edge of blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

What OKElkHunter said can't be stressed enough. Really easy to ruin a temper with heat from a grinder. If you happen to be in Anchorage, I am sure the great folks at Northern Knives can either help you out, or steer you in the right direction. They not only sharpen blades, but make knives as well, and are very nice to deal with.

Thanks for the comments, guys. The more I read the more I'm concerned about ruining the temper. I don't really NEED another 8" knife, so I am leaning toward keeping the 10" as it is. If I really want another 8" i'll just buy another.

Thanks for the good advice.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.