Thread: Optics comparison

Thumbs up Optics comparison- FAIRBANKS NEXT WEEK

The worst place in the world to look at optics is in a bright, well lit outdoor store. Even a big cabela's or similar does not have enough distance or dark areas to test the optics.
    I have thought for a long time that it would be beneficial to get together a bunch of folks with a myriad assortment of binoculars, rifle scopes, spotting scopes, and range finders. Do it at dusk or low light conditions or perhaps even a moonlit night. Compare one against the other in difficult conditions. Give people who are trying to make a good decision the opportunity to really look at some different products. And heck, maybe we find something else we can't live without or we want to trade each other for.
    This could be done whereever more than 2 people can get together. We live in Fairbanks and would be willing to grab a bag of gear to go meet people somewhere. Comments?
    Last edited by Snyd; 07-26-2007 at 10:05.

I think this is a great idea. I have a Pentax PF 65ED-A II with a Pentax XW 14mm fixed power eyepiece and some Pentax DCF SP 10x42's. I know a couple guys around here that have the Bushnell Elite/B&L 16-45x60's. Now if we can find some Leupold, Nikon, Swaro, Leica and Zeiss guys we could have a good time.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I agree it is very hard to tell the difference in good light and or short distances. A number of years ago I wanted to get a good pocket sized set of bino. Was leaning towards the Leupold ones. I happened to go to the Tulsa gun show(11 acres under one roof & 34000 tables and drop lights with lots of dark areas). Night and day difference between the Leupolds and Swarovskis. Bought the Swaros. Also night and day difference between the Swaro pocket and Swaro 8 x and 10x 40-50.

Default Optic Testing

I come to Fairbanks once a week, i would be interested. I have Zeiss FL*T 10X 42 and pentax 500, where and when?

Quote Originally Posted by ruble View Post
    I come to Fairbanks once a week, i would be interested. I have Zeiss FL*T 10X 42 and pentax 500, where and when?
    Good question. I'll be going on a hike with AKRiverRat in about a half hour. I'll mention it to him and let him figure it out. It would be nice to get decent bunch of glass together for comparison.

Is the Pentax 500 one of those short fat spotting scopes? I forgot what they call them.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Lets get together late next week (Aug 1, 2 or 3 maybe in the evening?) in Fairbanks for an Optics Comparison. We need some more guys with spotters, binos and rangefinders. Probably not rifles at this one since we are thinking about gathering up at UAF so we can view out to several miles.

Default Optic Testing

I can be there 3,4 or 5 Aug, Will bring coverd dish and Optics, just let me know. I have been EYEING Zeiss 85mm with the 20-60 zoom. $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by ruble View Post
    I can be there 3,4 or 5 Aug, Will bring coverd dish and Optics, just let me know. I have been EYEING Zeiss 85mm with the 20-60 zoom. $$$$
    Great! Zeiss Diascope 85.... oh man, that's one nice setup for a big scope. Smallest and lightest of the 80-85mm scopes. But, like you said $$$ About 2 grand!

A couple months ago a gal in Anchorage had one on Craigslist for 1000 bucks. I was a few days late..... ahh, it was a straight one anyway and I wanted angled... well, but for a grand?!?!

ya'll bring the good glass and Ill bring the wife,might talk her into what I want next if she gets to compare some Im sneaky this way.
    Sold my canoe for $200.00 yesterday and told her if she came up with another $250.00 since Im half way we could go buy that Marlin 45-70 SS I want.Yeah she shot me down quick with a "you need NO MORE GUNS",so now I can say I need a great Scope.I'll see ya'll whenever it takes place.Daniel

Default optic testing

Where do you folks want to meet? The 3th of Aug is good for me.

I'll talley up all the replies and see who can meet when and get with AKRiverRat this week and we'll post a time and place. This can be the first of a few gatherings if needed/wanted everyone can't make it.

Perry

I just don't have the time to do this this week. Getting ready to go sheep hunting next week so I'll raise this thing again later this month.