Thread: Fishing near Denali

Default Fishing near Denali

Contemplating whether or not to buy 7day license or 14 days..
    will spend 2 days in denali.. are there any good fishing to make it worthwhile to buy a 14 day license? if not then i will stick with a 7 days.. any recommendation for spots near denali state park? Good fishing or so so?

Fishing inside of Denali National Park does not require a license. I work seasonally in the park and am also a huge fisherman. While it is nice that a license is not required there are very few great spots in the park. Most of the streams have some grayling but not very many of them. If you make it out to wonder lake there is lake trout in there but it takes a canoe/boat to really fish it properly.

Denali State Park is a different matter as far as I know you need a license but there are some killer spots along the road system in there.

Armo

Deska River near Willow, Little Su near Wasilla, are both on the way to Denali.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Deshka is on the way, but you need a motorized boat to get any fishing done. Little Su has plenty of walk-in areas, but it's by no means a stop the car and fish stream. Just about every stream and lake between Cantwell and Paxson has grayling.

Byers Creek, below the Parks Hwy bridge is your best bet. Next Troublesome Creek. Then Honalulu, Chulitna fork or rent a canoe at Byers Lake and go out there. Not real Alaska fishing, but as lake fishing goes, it is one of the best in the state park that is road accessible.

Thanks for the info.. are any of the lake considered hot fishing?
    Meaning will we sit all day for a fish or maybe fish a few hours to catch 1 or two?

Byers creek and troublesom creek are they near aspen haus lodging? We'll be staying in heely which is like 15 min from denali park.. if the fishing isn't great from shore than i mind as well not get burnt out before my charter and river fishing..

I live in Healy and byers and troublesome are about 2 hours from my house. As I said before I love to fish but have yet to find any great spots less than an hour and half away from healy. There are some small stocked lakes fairly close by than my result and a fish every couple casts. They won't be very big but if you have kids it may be a fun way to go. Much later in the year some of the little creeks around healy will have some salmon but they are pretty well beat up by that point.

thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Contemplating whether or not to buy 7day license or 14 days..
    will spend 2 days in denali.. are there any good fishing to make it worthwhile to buy a 14 day license? if not then i will stick with a 7 days.. any recommendation for spots near denali state park? Good fishing or so so?
    I think you are confusing the state park with the national park. My earlier response was for the state park. If you intended it to mean the national park, they my response would definately be to save your time and energies for another time. Pretty lame fishing within a resonable distance of the national park.

I dind;t know there are two parks..
    wed'll be at the one with the bus tour

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    I dind;t know there are two parks..
    wed'll be at the one with the bus tour
    Thats the national park. Miserable fishing to be had there. Wouldn't put any money or effort in the very limited opportunities that exist within and near the park. You will see when you take the bus.