Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Mfg 5-6hp short shaft to buy?

Default What Mfg 5-6hp short shaft to buy?

Canoe is an Old Town discovery sport 17' 4" square stern. Also what do you all think of motors that dont have a reverse gear, as in the motor rotates 360 degrees. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    Canoe is an Old Town discovery sport 17' 4" square stern. Also what do you all think of motors that dont have a reverse gear, as in the motor rotates 360 degrees. Thanks
    I had a suzuki 2.5 that did not have a reverse. It was better than a reverse IMO.

As far as what motor to get? I'd find the lightest weight in its class.
    I'll be buying a tohatsu 9.9 because it is about 15lbs lighter than the others in the same class.

Check out the propane outboards. Iíve heard very good things about them and I think they are quite abit lighter than your conventional outboard.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Check out the propane outboards. Iíve heard very good things about them and I think they are quite abit lighter than your conventional outboard.
    I switched to a propane auger this year...simply awesome and incredibly convenient. I'd roll with a small propane outboard in a New York minute. I looked at one- 2.5HP Lehr that weights just 37 pounds.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I switched to a propane auger this year...simply awesome and incredibly convenient. I'd roll with a small propane outboard in a New York minute. I looked at one- 2.5HP Lehr that weights just 37 pounds.
    Yes! Thatís the brand a buddy had. Lehr. He loved it. You can run it off a 1lber or a 20. Sounds pretty slick to me
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I got a friend with a 9.9 lehr and itís pretty efficient, but it sucks in the cold. Itís also a little bit heavier than a standard 4 stroke.

Many small outboards are made by Tohatsu regardless of label on the motor.

360 degree reverse is great IMO for small motors.

I had the Old Town Discovery Sport set up with a Tohatsu 6HP short shaft. It was a good set up and I averaged 17-18 mph at WOT. I had to use the long arm tiller as I always had to much weight in the back with it. Had to add weight in the front when only myself and camp in the canoe. My wife thought it was too tippy (She was new to canoes). Loved the set up get a lift for the motor and there will not be many places you can't go. I switched to a Saturn Kaboat, I like my new set up (Ok my wife love it) it runs great and easier to transport but the Discovery is a good setup too. Enjoy.

You will more than likely be disappointed with less than 5 hp on the Discovery on any of the creeks or rivers.

Im running an old, late 1970 johnson 6hp long shaft now. Pushes the canoe and three guys well against the current on our local rivers.

Im running an old, late 1970 johnson 6hp long shaft now. Pushes the canoe and three guys well against the current on our local rivers.
    Where are you at?

South East Iowa

South East Iowa
    How fast are your rivers?

Not sure, I would describe as slow and meandering.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazer View Post
    I had the Old Town Discovery Sport set up with a Tohatsu 6HP short shaft. It was a good set up and I averaged 17-18 mph at WOT. I had to use the long arm tiller as I always had to much weight in the back with it. Had to add weight in the front when only myself and camp in the canoe. My wife thought it was too tippy (She was new to canoes). Loved the set up get a lift for the motor and there will not be many places you can't go. I switched to a Saturn Kaboat, I like my new set up (Ok my wife love it) it runs great and easier to transport but the Discovery is a good setup too. Enjoy.
    17-18 mph is fast for a canoe hull......I'll have to look up that Discovery Sport again. The canoe must be planing at that speed.

On my freight canoes, I find that running the motor at half throttle will give me 12 mph and full throttle will add about 2 mph. The hull efficiency and fuel economy has disappeared. If the canoe is creating an obvious bow wake, back off the throttle a bit to recover efficiency.

In my youth, I logged hundreds of miles in a 16' Grumman with 3.5 Evinrude [360 degree] on a side mount. Many of our Alaska rivers are not conducive to that type of propulsion.

Not sure, I would describe as slow and meandering.
    That doesn't happen where you will be at up here. I am coming from an area with a lot of rivers that are fairly swift, though nothing like south central.

I will be getting rid of my 7.5 and getting a 9.9 for my kaboat.

3-5 hp is too small imo. I grew up running grumman sportcanoe's 15.5' with 9.9 one them. One family friend ran a 15 on his. Empty yes... you need to add a hundred or 2 pounds in the bow to keep it down. But with a family of 4, the dog, and a weeks worth of food and gear it moved right along. Just add some logs or rocks in the bow if alone in an empty boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    That doesn't happen where you will be at up here. I am coming from an area with a lot of rivers that are fairly swift, though nothing like south central.

I will be getting rid of my 7.5 and getting a 9.9 for my kaboat.
    Iím generally using a 15 on my kaboat now. I picked up an ancient 25 hp jet canít wait to try it out
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    Iím generally using a 15 on my kaboat now. I picked up an ancient 25 hp jet canít wait to try it out
    2 stroke?

I have been eyeballing the 15 Johnson and the 9.9 tohatsu. The Johnson is a 2 stroke and tohatsu is a 4 stroke.

I just bought a Mercury 4 stroke 5 HP for my 18 foot Clipper MacSport. It has reverse and a built in tank. The max hp for the Clipper is 5 HP so that's what I bought.

It replaced a 4 hp Evinrude 2 stroke with an external tank and no reverse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast