Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Mfg 5-6hp short shaft to buy?

Does that new mercury have an external fuel tank hook up or is it just the internal tank. I think im leaning towards a honda

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Swede View Post
    Does that new mercury have an external fuel tank hook up or is it just the internal tank. I think im leaning towards a honda
    It has both. There's a switch on the side that lets you change from the internal tank to the external tank. The Mercury is lighter and was 200.00 cheaper. I had a 1992 2 stroke 15 Hp Mercury. It was a great motor. I had no experiences with the Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by lucescoflathead View Post
    It has both. There's a switch on the side that lets you change from the internal tank to the external tank. The Mercury is lighter and was 200.00 cheaper. I had a 1992 2 stroke 15 Hp Mercury. It was a great motor. I had no experiences with the Honda.
    how heavy is that Merc?

15 inch shaft rope start 55 lbs. dry.

I am liking that mercury more at 55 pounds, external tank hook up and reverse gear. looks like 1550$ buys that motor here add another 160$ for honda. Looks like 59 pounds for weight on the honda

I haven't had mine out yet. I'm shooting for the end of the month. I'll post a report.

Ordered the Honda 5hp. waiting for it to arrive

Keep us posted how it works for you.
    Ordered the Honda 5hp. waiting for it to arrive

Called the dealer to see why motor had not shipped on friday, he said honda 5 hp short shaft was back ordered till mid june at minimum. So i made a quick decision to have him send the Mercury instead, tracking # say motor by tuesday

I like the Mercury. I've only ran mine on half speed until it breaks in, but seems to have a lot of power. Starts easy and isn't too heavy to take on and off.

Mercury 5hp short shaft runs well. Was getting 10mph against the current at about 2/3 throttle, and 14 mph down river. Light and quite as i am used to late seventy's era johnson motors. I like the top tank alot more than i thought i would. Got at least 6 miles on the .40 gallon internal top tank today before i ran it dry. I am about 6 plus hours into the 10 hour break in period

Mercury 5hp short shaft runs well. Was getting 10mph against the current at about 2/3 throttle, and 14 mph down river. Light and quite as i am used to late seventy's era johnson motors. I like the top tank alot more than i thought i would. Got at least 6 miles on the .40 gallon internal top tank today before i ran it dry. I am about 6 plus hours into the 10 hour break in period
    How fast is your river running?

not sure, i didnt think to check gps speed without motor running going down river. Guess would be 4-6 mph

Finished the 10 hr break in period on the Merc 5hp short shaft. Ive been running up and down the Iowa river very close to home. The river flows at 3.5mph as per my garmin etrex. At full throttle i can get 11.5 up stream and 14 down. The motor runs best/easily around 9-10 mph which seems about 2/3 throttle. Had a chance to run shallow last weekend and had no problems in approx 12" water with sand bottom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12