Thread: Smoking fish

Default Smoking fish

I will be making my first trip to AK next week. Does anyone know of any good places to have fish smoked? I hope toc atch some salmon and would like to have them smoke.. how long does it take?

AK is a big place, where you going to be?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

I can recommend Alaska Smoked Salmon on Diamond and King street. They always do a great job for my family when they are in town. I'm sure there are plently of others but this is the only place I have personal experience with. Also, they do a mean Sweet Cajun Smoked Halibut that absolutly ROCKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Prybar View Post
    I can recommend Alaska Smoked Salmon on Diamond and King street. They always do a great job for my family when they are in town. I'm sure there are plently of others but this is the only place I have personal experience with. Also, they do a mean Sweet Cajun Smoked Halibut that absolutly ROCKS!
    Ah...(drool)

I will be in the seward and clam gulch, ninilchick area

how many days will they need to smoke the fish? 2-3 days?

did a saerch online but can't find this place.. a lot of topics are called alaska smoked salmon lol.. do you have a website and phone number?

Default I believe this is them...

Alaskan Smoked Salmon International
    8430 Laviento Dr
    Anchorage, AK 99515
    (907) 349-8234
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Where to smoke fish

I've always taken mine to Indian Valley, because the fish I get back is always firm and tasty without being salty. Their cajun and honey/pepper ones are delicious. They told me "a couple weeks" when I dropped mine off. I don't know if they offer expedited turnaround for extra money. I think almost all the commercial smokers offer Fed Ex / UPS shipping if you're here on vacation.

I've never tried the place on Dimond, but maybe I should when I get a bunch of silvers.

I know a couple I wouldn't think of taking my fish to, but I'd rather stay positive and say that the ones that have been recommended are pretty safe bets and leave it at that.

(I'm not sure where the rumor started about the one place not giving you back your own fish, and I have no way to verify it. I always wondered how those places are supposed to keep track of your fish, anyway. I just assumed they know how much weight the fish loses when being smoked and give you back a certain number of pounds of fish, whether it's yours or someone else's mixed in with all the rest.)