Thread: Bayliner Inboard Modifications

Default Bayliner Inboard Modifications

I have a 1979 Bayliner that has been driving us crazy with Carb/ idling issues ..has anyone here ever bothered to install one of the complete throttle body injection kits on one of these older Chevy 350 engines? If so, was it worthwhile? What issues did you have installing the unit? Did you have any issues with it getting waterlogged? On the older Chevy throttle body trucks if you hit the engine with a hose at all it would cause rough running and sometimes a no start condition until they dried out some.
    Thanks for any replies and advice.
    Mark

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

i have often wondered why carbs were still in use in boat applications long after they disappeared form autos. i can't imagine why a throttle body injection system would not work. i look forward to the comments.

Buy a marine power fuel injectored 5.7. The fuel saving will pay for itself.

https://marineenginedepot.com/20054/...Engine-Package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Buy a marine power fuel injectored 5.7. The fuel saving will pay for itself.

https://marineenginedepot.com/20054/...Engine-Package

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would love a complete engine but it's just out of my reach currently ..even used.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wouldn't touch a marine power engine after the crappy service we got on the last one I ordered and installed.
    Don't bother with FITech fuel injection either.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

A friend bought one of those fuel ejected, computerized whiz bang models. I get the same MPG with my carbureted 5.0 and if something goes wrong I don't need a computer and a technician to tell what's wrong. First he replaced a module, then adjusted the "factory" idle settings, then a heat sink made to reduce the heat of one component. Keep it simple.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My 350 carb, you can work on it 70 miles from the nearest take out point. A tap here a tap there or a can of carb and choke cleaner and you are back on your way.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

So the consensus is just get a new carb, adjust it properly and run it til the salt eats it again, rinse and repeat? I can do that. Thanks all for the replies and advice.

We all said the same thing about our cars and trucks. Then we said the same about snowmachines and atvs. You couldn't pay me enough to put a carb back on any of them. Same goes for an outboard motors. Loved my efi outboards. And I love my multi port fuel injected inboard. May i never need to rebuild another carb. And yes, I'm very competent at doing so. Doesn't mean i enjoy it.

I will ad this though. Imo a gm TBI setup was junk on a street vehicle. Their TBI setup is a million times better. I wouldn't go with a tbi. Make the jump straight to TBI if you are going to ipgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    We all said the same thing about our cars and trucks. Then we said the same about snowmachines and atvs. You couldn't pay me enough to put a carb back on any of them. Same goes for an outboard motors. Loved my efi outboards. And I love my multi port fuel injected inboard. May i never need to rebuild another carb. And yes, I'm very competent at doing so. Doesn't mean i enjoy it.

I will ad this though. Imo a gm TBI setup was junk on a street vehicle. Their TBI setup is a million times better. I wouldn't go with a tbi. Make the jump straight to TBI if you are going to ipgrade.
    Makes sense, as long as its not a TBI....
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post

Sorry. Spellcheck got me.
    I do not care for GM's throttlebody injected systems. The direct injection systems however are a different story
    I wouldn't trade direct injection for an old fashioned carb.

figured so, was just yanking your chain....! I haven't had good luck with TBI on a older GM shop truck, it never runs quite right, stumbles and dies. All the new stuff is pretty reliable.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

in my experience, the "new stuff" certainly is more reliable than the 10 year old vehicles in any given fleet. When throttle body came out in GM vehicles, I liked it because I hated carbs. still don't like them. Necessary evil I guess.