Thread: Sea Doo motor in canoe

Default Sea Doo motor in canoe

Anyone have any experience putting a Sea Doo-type motor in a canoe? If so, please advise. I have been told that the pressure is too high and the volume too low for a canoe, as they are made to move a smaller rig much faster. I am not familiar w/ the "sea doo" things, but they look pretty heavy, esp the big ones.

That and the fact that the craft is not designed for speed, they become very unstable.

Default motor size?

What size motor and canoe are you familiar w/? I'd be interested in knowing. I am only talking about going 15 to 20 mph. My Grumman was not particularly unstable w/ a 15 hp on it, so I am guessing that a much bigger canoe with a 25-30 hp would be ok. That is just a guess, though.

I considered this some 20 years ago.....at that time considered a Mad River Kevlar 20" etc.....couldn't get tech info sufficient to satisfy me.....often thought it would be best mounted in front 1/3 of canoe.....

Default somebody....

I've been told of a Fish/Game guy that used to run a Grumman w/ a Sea-Doo type engine and "went everywhere". I think I'll call Craig Compeau to see if he's ever tinkered w/ this type of thing; he seems to fiddle a bit. If anyone has any leads, speak up. thanks. j

Default Sea Do

BACK 20 some odd years ago there was a bunch [2 or more] that did put jet drives in the canoes with snowmobile eng, they widen the babk end so it was about 40 inchs wide took the widest part an just went back with it saw one on the conner of Bonaface Debar in Anchorage the old Texico gas station never stopped in but. I know it work,
    If you put it in a 19 FT with out doing some work like that [no room back there] there would not be much canoe in the water when up on step, lets face it it is not how fast it will go , but how cheep it is to run an move large loads with ease you can go lond distance on 15 extra GAL. along ,an if you did mess up [ran out of gas] you could pull or paddle it back
    I KNOW SID

Default cool

Sid: Good to hear. I was sure it had been done before. I wonder why it did not catch on? I sure would like to talk to whoever operated one. Thanks. j

First time I've looked at this forum. I canoe somewhat in MT, so I'm no expert.

However, this might be worth a look
    http://www.ondeckwatercrafts.com/pro...et/default.asp

The same 17hp Subaru and jet pump they show was put into an outboard motor for a few years, from about 1984 - 1987. I found one about 7 years ago, bought it and used it on an inflatable with a transom.

I've never hooked it up to my Colman Scanoe because I don't need a motor where I go and I think with my fat ass in the back it would be a bit heavy.

Anyway, this same website has an online store with all kinds of jet pumps, etc. for this and similar types of watercraft. I've purchased parts from him before, straight up guy and good to talk to. I'll bet he could set someone up with enough stuff to consume a whole Alaskan winter.

I haven't used my jet outboard in many years. If anyone wants to come to Montana to get it it would suddenly be for sale.

Default in board in a canoe

I think it did not catch on because it took up space in side where with a lift
    the motor is out back off the end an max space in side lets face on trips you wand to take the kitchen sink with you SID

Default cool

interesting site. i bet this guy has done just what i am talking about, more than once. thanks. john