Thread: 97% success rate

I'm at 100%. Ruger Super Blackhawk on a wounded charging boar black bear.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

With my luck I'd be part of the 3%! Sneaking up on this old, deaf coot wouldn't be hard for even a bear...I'd have to see him coming! It might be best for me to walk around in the woods with a hand grenade with the pin already pulled. Mr. bear, I dare ya to knock this outta my hand!

Quite a difference between real facts and newspaper facts. I no longer feel under gunned with my 41 mag and 270gr bullets at 1200fps.

Good read. I like my pistol because it doesnít matter if Iím facing into a 30mph wind.

I have never felt under gunned with my .44 and 300 grain loads. I have never felt any desire to buy bear spray. Good article, informative and worth reading.

Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.

Quote Originally Posted by coop22250 View Post
    Good read. I like my pistol because it doesn’t matter if I’m facing into a 30mph wind.
    +1 on that.

I have used spray on the neighborhood pitbulls with limited success. On one occasion there was a very slight, and I mean SLIGHT breeze. I think I got it worse than the dog. Those mutts still come out after me when I walk around the block. I carry something more serious now days. The dog owners try to call the dogs off when they see me pointing Mr. Deadly at their mutts. Kind of funny sometimes, cause one of the dog owner's old lady is a toothless old bag, and she yells, "Bear, Bear, Bear." I assume the mutts name is Bear, but it obviously doesn't know since it never responds.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I'm at 100%

1 grizzly
    1 big Black

black was dead before he knocked me down

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    I'm at 100%

1 grizzly
    1 big Black

black was dead before he knocked me down

Chris
    Which caliber?

Chez,

Grizzly was with a 460 (double tap at VERY close)

black was a 7-30 Waters (4 shots, 4 hits)

Chris
    Chis

Nice stories, however the N value of that "study" is only 37. Missing a LOT of available data to try and make a "97%" claim. The title actually means "97% of the 37 cases we picked were successful", nothing more. There are hundreds of cases in the pool that they don't bother to consider.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Interesting read to me. My biggest hand canon is a S&W .44 mag. Mountain Gun with the skinny 4" barrel. After I burn up the last of my 280 grain LBT's I will switch to the 300 grain version.

Other then blowing a hole through a moose's head that was slowly bleeding out I have killed nothing with it. Back in the 70's I killed a couple of caribou with a 7.5" barreled Ruger shooting factory 240 grain Remington jacketed bullets. That is the extent of my big game hand gun shooting and a far cry from stopping a bear attack.

I feel a bit under gunned when I am only packing that revolver and pray I never have to depend on it or my skill with it to stop a bear attack. When I carry my wife's 10 shot Mod. 94 Win. with the same load I don't feel so under gunned and I can hit better with it in a hurry at 30' and under.

When I came to Alaska in 1965 I knew a killer bear was behind every bush and when my Dad started building a house in the Slana area the family became acquainted with Knut Peterson, who survived a grizzly attack. I really don't remember any one talking about killing bears with a handgun, especially grizzlies and the idea of it was not highly thought of. The only .44's I saw then were of the Ruger variety and I held them in awe.

As we all know, the hand gun hunting, cartridges and bullets have evolved to the point of being hand cannons. I still have not been to the range and observed any one shooting them quickly and accurately, but some must be able to. At one point I did ok with my 280 grainers at about 15', but never really enjoyed the punishment of shooting them quickly, so I will leave the bigger hand cannons to others.

The handgun does have its advantages, it is easy to pack in a good chest holster if not to big and under the worst case scenario it would be easier to shoot a few times then a rifle if you were feeding a bear and arm or leg. Ouch!

I commend the few custom ammo makers who attempt to provide a better bear round for what we all know are marginal calibers at best. As far as them being suitable for stopping a bear attack, I wouldn't bet my life or the life of my loved ones on their ability. A few random small samples tells us very little.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I feel a bit under gunned when I am only packing that revolver and pray I never have to depend on it or my skill with it to stop a bear attack. When I carry my wife's 10 shot Mod. 94 Win. with the same load I don't feel so under gunned and I can hit better with it in a hurry at 30' and under.

.................................................. .....

I still have not been to the range and observed any one shooting them quickly and accurately, but some must be able to.

Sounds as though you and I have been going to the same ranges. I knew guys who could do it, but even the best could not do it with their heavy hunting loads. They had to step back from max to regain control in fast shooting. So did I. My compromise was a 44 mag launching 300 grain slugs at about 1050. Some could handle more, some less. But all of us were shooting 200-300 rounds a week to stay in that game.

And even in my handgun prime (I'm no longer there!) I had lots more faith in a fast rifle simply for the better accuracy. Not as convenient to carry, but better in my eyes when you really need it. Whether handgun loads or more potent loads. Bud of mine was so proud of his 500 Smith, he challenged me to a 5-shot "duel" for time, him from the holster and me from sling on shoulder at 30'. Shooting my 358 I got off 5 shots, all hits, in 1/3 his time. He had one hit. He decided that wasn't fair, so we did it a gain, this time me shooting my M71 in 450 Alaskan with 400 grain bullets @ 2200. I got off 5 shots in just over half his time, all hits once again. He didn't have a hit in his second go-round. Pretty instructive for both of us. He's carrying a Guide Gun 45-70 these days, and darn the inconvenience.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

In this particular article, it's easy to see bigger is better, not much luck with smaller calibers, here. Does make a guy wonder but,
    for me anyway, I want a big weapon
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."