Thread: Grumman freigter on steroids

Default Grumman freigter on steroids

I am just wondering if there in interest in AK for a canoe like the Scott Hudson Bay, http://scottcanoe.com/1_canoes/albany.html, only made of aluminum. I am playing with the idea of having one made, and wonder if other people would be interested in doing the same. I have no idea what the price would be, really, but the fiberglass Scotts retail for about $3500, plus shipping to Ak, so, what, maybe $5500? Does anyone have a phone number of a custom aluminum boat builder in Ak? I know there is at least one. Let me know your thoughts, please, yes or no. Thanks.

Default Scott canoe....

Last summer, there was a Scott Albany for sale here in Fairbanks at an outdoors business - whose name I can't remember - on Davis Rd...near the University Ave end...on the south side. It's a huge boat. They wanted an outrageous amount of money,(about $5500 and included a 5hp Honda). The canoe had been picked up in Canada, in Whitehorse, And floated to the Yukon River Bridge. The company that was selling the boat, picked up the people and boat and brought them back to Fairbanks...were acting as the owner's agent.

I had thought seriously about getting that exact model for my own use, but upon seeing it - VERY wide and heavy (185#) - my illusions of using it to sneak up hard to traverse, log jammed rivers...well, it shattered those illusions. I have a 19'Grumman I'm pleased with.... equipped with one of your lifts with skirt, 15hp Yamaha and Rockhopper. The only canoe that might be an improvement on the 19'er would be a new Osage model 3' longer than the current 17footer, if they were to build one.

I'll try to remember the company's name.

Happy trail, Rick

Default scott at beaver sports

I saw an add on the board in the main beaver sports building on college ave ., Fairbanks that appears to be the large figerglas freighter you describe. I think they are asking $1800.

I have a Scott Hudon Bay for sale on galvanized HD trailer for $4500....sells new in Whitehorse for $7K.....also selling 18' Lund and buying a Scott James Bay.....The Scott Canoe is very durable....a friend in Delta runs one all over AK and YT with 20HP and jack lift....AK T&T has built covers for both of us....

I have owned 19' Grumman and it is a good canoe but not equal in construction to a Scott IMO......

Default great info

Good to read the replies. A Marc Taylor (I think) brought his Hudson to me to see about fitting a lift to it, which is what precipitated all my salivating over a very large canoe. He has/had his Albany for sale for $1600. The Hudson looked like a definite two-person rig, at 245 lbs, but I'd like one made of aluminum, and maybe put a tunnel in it. Another idea is running one with a Sea-Doo type motor; been dreaming of this for decades, and love challenges. VernAK: shot you a p.m. I've also owned a Grumman 19' and loved it, but it just is not big enough.