Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: PR49 Propulsion

  1. #1

  2. #2
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    A kayak paddle is much cheaper, lighter, and less prone to breakdown. The KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principal allows more time for hunting.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    A kayak paddle is much cheaper, lighter, and less prone to breakdown. The KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principal allows more time for hunting.
    Not helpful.
    I am really looking for help with this.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,637

    Default

    The motor weighs more than the boat, friend! Packrafts are not designed to use with an outboard. Round boats in general perform very poorly with an outboard anyway, but rigging up a PR49 with a transom and an outboard... you're going to have serious issues with that setup.

    Somebody please tell me I didn't just get Rickrolled?

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    The motor weighs more than the boat, friend! Packrafts are not designed to use with an outboard. Round boats in general perform very poorly with an outboard anyway, but rigging up a PR49 with a transom and an outboard... you're going to have serious issues with that setup.

    Somebody please tell me I didn't just get Rickrolled?

    -Mike
    The motor does weigh more than the boat. I weigh 187lbs and can seat myself as far back on the boat as possible. Surely, I can add some pounds hanging off the back.

    I paddled this boat several miles in open ocean between islands in the Bahamas and then again in Turks and Caicos.

    I suppose nobody jumping on this thread saying they have tried this and failed is good news. I am going to buy lengths of electric conduit or metal pipe and slide into the D-rings to make a frame. I will then hang twenty pounds out there and see what happens I guess.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    The motor does weigh more than the boat. I weigh 187lbs and can seat myself as far back on the boat as possible. Surely, I can add some pounds hanging off the back.

    I paddled this boat several miles in open ocean between islands in the Bahamas and then again in Turks and Caicos.

    I suppose nobody jumping on this thread saying they have tried this and failed is good news. I am going to buy lengths of electric conduit or metal pipe and slide into the D-rings to make a frame. I will then hang twenty pounds out there and see what happens I guess.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I guess another option would be two cross brace my frame and run to 3.5hp jets; one on each side.

    Not trying to make a race boat.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7

    Default

    with 3-D print technology now in Anchorage, anything is possible.

    One thing about Alaskans...if you want to see it happen, tell us it isn't doable!
    https://pristineventures.com

  8. #8

    Default

    it's a 2 stroke outboard. good luck importing it into the USA.

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    A kayak paddle is much cheaper, lighter, and less prone to breakdown. The KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principal allows more time for hunting.
    And how often do you go back upriver with that paddle...?
    I'm also interested in a lightweight propulsion unit for small, packable boats. Been canoeing for years and love 'em, but going back up a 4-6 mph river with a paddle after fishing all day isn't likely, especially if there aren't a lot of eddy spots to stop in.

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tchoutacabouffa View Post
    I guess another option would be two cross brace my frame and run to 3.5hp jets; one on each side.

    Not trying to make a race boat.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As learned on twin engine aircraft, you've then just doubled your system failure rate!

  11. #11
    Member Birdstrike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by downeast View Post
    And how often do you go back upriver with that paddle...?
    I'm also interested in a lightweight propulsion unit for small, packable boats. Been canoeing for years and love 'em, but going back up a 4-6 mph river with a paddle after fishing all day isn't likely, especially if there aren't a lot of eddy spots to stop in.
    You wonít be going back upriver with any type of engine that you can mount to a PR-49. We all wish that we could buy one piece of equipment that can do it all. Unfortunately thatís rarely/never the case.

  12. #12

    Default

    ancient upstream travellers relied on the two motors below our waist! Still do in most places and some boats. 4-6 miles of upstream travel takes about a day on most smaller rivers.
    https://pristineventures.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •