Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Moving back to AK, Shipping Firearms Questions

  1. #1

    Default Moving back to AK, Shipping Firearms Questions

    Moving back home to AK this summer, driving through Canada and have to ship my guns. Long guns and short guns. I have not made any phone calls yet only researching the web, and FedEx and UPS will not ship firearms for non licensees, only to an FFL. USPS will not ship short guns.

    I know I can ship to them to myself but also I am the one who has to sign for them.

    Anyone have any experience shipping firearms to themselves?

  2. #2
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    I have shipped "from me" to "me" in AK for my long guns no problem. Shipped them so I had to sign for them. I think the handguns were in there too and I hope the statue of limitations has expired but in some places there is no Fed Ex or UPS. From the L48 I brought my long guns with me and shipped the short ones to a FFL somewhere up here. Should be people on the forum with FFL's that can help with that.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    You do need to ship them from yourself to yourself. However you can ship in care of someone else. At least for long guns.
    I believe USPS will allow handguns to go to a ffl. Flat rate boxes are a great way to save money that way.
    I know I’ll be mailing my ccw up this summer from our vacation. We are driving up and the handguns need to come as well. Just not through Canada.

  4. #4

    Default

    This is going to cost me a small fortune. I can see the looks at USPS when I wheel in ready to mail them.

    I drove though Canada decades ago with guns and it was easy, had the paperwork ready but now, I do not want to take any chance getting jammed up at the border. They only allow hunting type guns and pistols with longer than 4.5" barrels.

    I will mail my long guns to myself in care of my son. The time frame of mailing them and us arriving and signing for them will just have to wait.
    Short guns will have to be shipped to an FFL I guess. I know people have sent handguns to themselves for hunting without the use of an FFL.

    I thought this would be easier, go to FedEx ship them here, pick them up there.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    4,369

    Default

    Long rifles ie hunting rifles they don't really care about as long as it's a bolt action, declare it at the border etc. Now pistols that's what they care about. I would bring long rifles across and ship all the pistols and semi automatic. (If you own any). When they ask where your pistols are at tell them you shipped them and provide the paperwork. Easy Peasy

  6. #6
    Member Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    5,515

    Default

    I took two back to NY via Canada two years ago. A single shot H&R and a Ruger 10/22. I had the paperwork ready and they asked me to come inside (Canada). The agent looked at the paperwork, did some signing and I paid the 25$ Canadian. He handed me back the 20$ bill and asked for 20$ again so I gave him the bill back. He looked at me and said we don't accept South African money. ??? I looked at the bill and sure enough I had a handed him a 20$ from my Africa trip. (Note to self bring glasses inside next time.) U.S. border never asked about firearms. On the trip back I just had the 10/22 and same thing happened in Canada except I had given the 20$ South African to my grandson. No issues at all. U.S. border the B.P. agent saw the Canadian paperwork on the dash and asked if I had any firearms. I answered his questions and no issues. NO ONE, Canadian or U.S. even looked at the firearms. They were in soft gun cases in a closet in the camper. This was my 16th trip across the borders to and from Alaska. Now you never know who is going to give you issues. Canada usually is pickier. Worse time is when someone saw my gold pan. They went thru everything. Then coming into Canada from an archery elk hunt I had one guard asked me about every firearm I owned. As I proceeded thru the third list, handguns, shotguns and then rifles..... traffic had backed way up. He finally let me thru. You never know who is on the border, anti-gun, anti- American, underwear with too much starch.

    Hillary moved to NY and I moved out.


  7. #7

    Default

    I have more than bolt action hunting rifles, we are not talking a few guns.

    I did it before with no issues but today who knows.

  8. #8

    Default

    I just read this on the RCMP web site, a call is in my future but anyone know about this?

    Transportation of Prohibited Firearms

    12 An individual may transport a prohibited firearm only if

    • (a) it is unloaded;
    • (b) it is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device;
    • (c) if it is an automatic firearm that has a bolt or bolt-carrier that is removable with reasonable facility, the bolt or bolt-carrier is removed;
    • (d) it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation; and
    • (e) when it is in a container described in paragraph (d) that is in an unattended vehicle,

      • (i) if the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
      • (ii) if the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is not visible from outside the vehicle.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 45.308 View Post
    I have more than bolt action hunting rifles, we are not talking a few guns.

    I did it before with no issues but today who knows.
    I would look at the Canada requirements, and mail the guns that you can't bring up. ARs, and pistols.
    Fill out the proper paperwork and go that route. It will cost you about $60 plus per gun to mail them up. You can mail them up priority with signature. Not just express (had one postmaster try to make me mail it express).

  10. #10

    Default

    Contacted RCMP, Chief Firearms Officer for BC and they were very helpful. Emailed all the forms to me, even for transporting restricted and prohibited firearms through Canada (handguns and ARs). I thought it would be easier to ship them to me but the cost is too much. RCMP CFO said are there to help, call any time, very friendly. I send in the forms for approval on prohibited firearms, then fill out the RCMP form, sign it at the border, pay the tax, good to go just like years ago. Have to enter Canada through BC though.


  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Meadow Lakes, Alaska
    Posts
    7

    Default

    My experience is that, unless it's only a few guns, it's going to be really expensive. My choice was to drive down, load my pickup with a small camper shell with the guns and accessories, and then ferry back up with that load. I chose not to go through Canada at all. I could have done with with at least some of the guns, but I also have a decent number of semi-automatics and evil black rifles, which will turn into too much of a hassle going through Canada.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    612

    Default

    I must be the unluckiest guy to ever drive through canada. Both times I did not have any weapons with me and both times my vehicles were strip searched, I had to put everything back. On my second trip I decided to put everything in a trailer and put the trailer on the ferry. I told the canadian BP what I did and they still stripped my p/u down leaving everything on the ground for me to pick up.

    Another thing they did was demand the code to my cell phone and then took it into another room for a few minutes, maybe 1/2 hour. They said they were concerned I had porn on my phone????

    I do everything in my power to avoid driving through there and dealing with their anti-American attitudes...

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
    My experience is that, unless it's only a few guns, it's going to be really expensive. My choice was to drive down, load my pickup with a small camper shell with the guns and accessories, and then ferry back up with that load. I chose not to go through Canada at all. I could have done with with at least some of the guns, but I also have a decent number of semi-automatics and evil black rifles, which will turn into too much of a hassle going through Canada.
    Cost to drive down and ferry back > cost to mail.

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Meadow Lakes, Alaska
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Cost to drive down and ferry back > cost to mail.
    Not if you're dealing with a couple hundred guns it's not. I checked into mailing/fedex/ups etc etc. To mail to myself I'd be looking at a minimum of $120.00 for a ten or twelve pound package. All of it having to go air jacks the price way up.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
    Not if you're dealing with a couple hundred guns it's not. I checked into mailing/fedex/ups etc etc. To mail to myself I'd be looking at a minimum of $120.00 for a ten or twelve pound package. All of it having to go air jacks the price way up.
    Interesting quotes. It cost me $63 from Ga to AK and that was double gun cases. I could have skipped the cases and gone with boxes. That was priority and insurance. At the same time, I had one gun and pelican case that cost me $93. Key is finding that. Alance between weight and size.

    Of course 100 guns can get pricey. I know my drive from GA to AL this summer was $4k, but that was also with $1k in hotel fees. Camping would have saved some money.

  16. #16
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Meadow Lakes, Alaska
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Interesting quotes. It cost me $63 from Ga to AK and that was double gun cases. I could have skipped the cases and gone with boxes. That was priority and insurance. At the same time, I had one gun and pelican case that cost me $93. Key is finding that. Alance between weight and size.

    Of course 100 guns can get pricey. I know my drive from GA to AL this summer was $4k, but that was also with $1k in hotel fees. Camping would have saved some money.
    Yeah, I was disgusted with the costs. That's California to AK, and coming from California is probably the reason for the prices, they love firearms down there. If it was that sixty or so bucks quote you got, I'd go for it.

    I'd be willing to drive them up again, last trip up in October was a bit over $2600 for travel costs, which isn't too bad. But unfortunately with the number and type of guns I have, along with the amount of ammo, it really makes it worthwhile to just do a shipping container and bypass Canada completely. Add in I'm moving a shop that'll fill the rest of the conex....yeah, cheaper.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
    Yeah, I was disgusted with the costs. That's California to AK, and coming from California is probably the reason for the prices, they love firearms down there. If it was that sixty or so bucks quote you got, I'd go for it.

    I'd be willing to drive them up again, last trip up in October was a bit over $2600 for travel costs, which isn't too bad. But unfortunately with the number and type of guns I have, along with the amount of ammo, it really makes it worthwhile to just do a shipping container and bypass Canada completely. Add in I'm moving a shop that'll fill the rest of the conex....yeah, cheaper.
    that barge rate can be totally worth it. Especially since they will fit inside a container.

  18. #18
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Meadow Lakes, Alaska
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    that barge rate can be totally worth it. Especially since they will fit inside a container.
    I'm hoping it is.

    I'll be getting quotes, just for grins and if anyone else winds up in the same boat I'll post up what I find.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czechsix View Post
    I'm hoping it is.

    I'll be getting quotes, just for grins and if anyone else winds up in the same boat I'll post up what I find.
    we found Alaska marine line or Alaska logistics to be best price. That was 4 years ago though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •