Thread: Pump Action

Default Pump Action

I have always hunted with either a single shot or pump action, whether shotgun or rifle. It seems bolt action rifle is the most popular in Alaska. What opinions are out there for and against a pump rifle for alaska big game?

Thanks.

Default praise the pump

I agree fully. I have shot pumps for years. I have always found them reliable, accurate and fast. Bolt guns have their advantages as well but my heart belongs to Rem. pumps. Glad to hear from a fellow pump rifle fan.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

I love and use them along with bolts, lever and singles, but you're right. They're not all that popular up here.

Default Pump .35 Whelan

Unfortunately, an eye condition prevents my shooting rifles any longer, but I think a Remingtom 7600 in .35 Whelen would be a great gun for Alaska.

The only "problem" I see with using a pump is they lack the camming power of a bolt action to chamber and eject brass. Some also have such tight chambers they require small base resizing dies.
    All of this can be over come is one insures all the rounds will cycle before the hunting trip. But still, I wonder if a pump is at a disadvantage over a bolt if the action becomes dirty with debris, leaves, etc?
    Tennessee

Default I got mine

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    Unfortunately, an eye condition prevents my shooting rifles any longer, but I think a Remingtom 7600 in .35 Whelen would be a great gun for Alaska.
    I had Mt. View order me a 7600 in 35 whelen a few years ago. I'm thinking of having it cut to 18 1/2". I really love that rifle. I'm glad to see other people appreciate this action and the 35 whelen.
    As far as not opening on a stuck round, in a last resort situation the gun can be slammed (on the heal not the toe of the stock)on the ground with the action release held. This should pull a stuck round free. Yeah, the bolt action has an advantage here but all is not lost with a pump.
    Never give a gun to a duck...

Default 760 GameMaster

I have a 30-06, Remington 760 gamemaster in like mint condition, My parents bought for me 31 years ago for a birthday present when I was 13. I killed a s hitload of deer with that rifle but it hangs on the wall now(retired) for sentimental reasons. If that rifle could speak.....I'd be in jail

Talking 7600

I have had a 7600 in .35 Whelen since about 1988 or so. I love the gun and with the right handloads it does shoot well. Ejection is no problem and with the right loads, it kind of does it itself (hot). Fully resizing the cases helps with the chambering but is seldon a problem unless I screw up. I run all rounds I am taking on a hunt through it anyways beforehand so I know they will all work. The 7600 is a straight pointing rifle and almost identical to my 870 shotguns.

As far as single shots: NEF in .35 Whelen, .357 Max., 30/30, .243. Contender in .44, .445 Supermag, 30/30, .357 Max. Encore in 7mm/08

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012