Thread: A garage sale find, need some info?

Default A garage sale find, need some info?

Hey guys/gals, I bought a Nydar Shotgun sight, box, cover, doesn't look like its ever been used. Model 47. I was wondering if someone might be able to give me some information? It looks rather old, all I can find on the internet is that it might be from WWII.
    I apologize, I didnt know where else to post this!

Thanks in advance!

Deb

On page 302 in my 1952 Stoeger Arms "Shooter's Bible" is an add and full discription. I remember my dad finding a couple of old shotguns with these sights mounted on them, one in particular a Remington model 32, trap special.

This was the worlds first red dot scope, though different colors could be had. It has a dot in the middle with a circle. It can be adjusted so the dot is in the center of the pattern and the circle represents the pattern. It is a piece of history this.... "Nydar gunsight constructed of the finest quality Swain Nelson precision lens and prisms...construction is of hardened tool steel with a blue steel finish".

The ad says at fifty yards the dot covers one foot and at that distance the ring is two feet ahead of and two feet behind the target. (a four foot circle) This will help with lead. The price ....in 1952 was $27.45.. the price in this same catalog...for a Winchester standard grade model 70 rifle was $126.50, the super grade could be had for $187.70.

This was a war time development and was used to direct fire with anti-aircraft guns during WWII and some interprising fellow capitalized on the idea. This is quite a find you have there, in excellent condition, it could be worth several hundered $$$ to the right collector, especially since you have the box.

It is somewhat ironic, this twist of fate. A gunshop here in town is going out of business and they have bunches of old books out for the taking. I picked up a few, not wanting to be a hog about it but got a Frank Barnes' Cartridges of the world, this 1952 Shooter's Bible, and a Speer reloading manual published in 1950. The No. 1 manual but it wasn't so marked, they didn't expect to make number two. It has 12 calibers in it. Anyway, this morning I was browsing through the Stoeger catalog, oohing and ahhing over the prices of yesteryear and I came upon this Nydar sight and remembered my dad having a shotgun with one on it. A small world, sort of.

By the way, on the next page is a Bausch & Lomb 60 mm spotting scope, such as what a long line rifle shooter would use. It sells for from $22.50 to $27.75 depending on which eye piece you select. And a Weaver KV variable rifle scope (variable from 2 3/4X to 5X) sells for $57.50, a K-4 was $45.00.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thank you Murphy, I'll certainly be hanging on to this! It even has the paperwork with it, including a little paper envelope that has what looks like a allen wrench in it. Not a bad find for $3 (grin).....

Thanks again!

What kind of old shotgun you gonna mount it on?

Not a thing, it'll become a great little shelf item. BUT, I did find an awesome OLD shotgun today as well, if I can make out what it is, I'll see if you guys can tell me a little about it as well. It was another garage sale find.

I have 1 1/2 of these Nydar shotgun sights that were on my dad's Browning 12 ga semis. I can't figure out how to adjust side to side. If anyone has instructions, I will pay for a copy.