Thread: Placer/20mile

Default Placer/20mile

How many horse prop do I need with a 9 foot zodiac to make it up either of these two rivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will most likely need a jet unit.

Quote Originally Posted by CRQAK View Post
    You will most likely need a jet unit.
    I have read on AOD that it can be done with a jon boat and a prop. Just wondering what hp on small 9 foot zodiac or Saturn KaBoat.

I would not even run it again with an outboard jet, inboard jets are the best to run this river. Would make it alittle ways with a prop but not very far. Bring spare props if you try. When I went up the Placer it was white water/ Bolder gardens
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

Default Placer/20mile

20mile you can run about 2/3 miles and be ok. Seen lots of guy with props over years up there with props.

Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I tried this several years ago in a 10 rigid hull inflatable. Borrowed a 25hp Yamaha and headed upstream. Got quite a ways up but it was high water and the current was running hard. Got to a narrow point in the river and even at near full throttle was slowed to literally inching upstream. At that point I said forget it and turned around. It was an interesting and surprising experience.

Never tried the Placer but I've been up 20 Mile to the ADF&G marker many times with my 12' Porta-bote and 6 hp Tohatsu and almost made Carmen Lake when the water was way high. Best to launch at higher tides as the lower river channel is not all that wide or deep.

Another jet boat vote, wouldn't try to run it in a prop.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

14 ft kaboat with 9.5 hp Evinrude shortshaft.

Run number 1: low tide. ran aground sheared pin on prop. floated out.

Run number two: low tide. ran in about 9 miles. on step most of the way. dug gravel twice but no issue in shallow water mode. guesstimate top speed against current 12 mph. burned 3 gallons of a six gallon tank. will try to make it to Carmen lake tomorrow. going to try Placer today. I have the DM210 tag as a nonresident. Any help is greatly appreciated.