Thread: Is it "LEGAL" to trade Two New Barrels.......for existing site ???

Default Is it "LEGAL" to trade Two New Barrels.......for existing site ???

Could someone trade information about where there is a good bear baiting site (Comes complete with barrel and tree-stand and ladder only needs bait and the new user to register as their site) for say two new clean barrels and lids and lock rings.

The site would become the responsibility of the new user.

Would this be legal.......???

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Could someone trade information about where there is a good bear baiting site (Comes complete with barrel and tree-stand and ladder only needs bait and the new user to register as their site) for say two new clean barrels and lids and lock rings.

Bait sites on public land do not belong to any user. There are unwritten rules regarding this, but in the eyes of the state, unlimited numbers of people can register the exact same piece of dirt for a site. If you own the stand, ladder and barrel, you can certainly trade them for something else. But if you left them in the woods after baiting at a bear bait site, you did not fulfill your legal obligation to remove everything from the site after bear baiting. So if I were considering the offer, I would be very wary about accepting, as I may be setting myself up for a whole world of hurt when the troopers come a visiting and start asking about all the gear left over from last year.

SO.............What if I have never had a bait station, and have never baited bears........does that change anything......??? I have far more bears in my yard then I want.

SO.............What if these were "Illegal" bait stations, and someone took Federal Law Enforcement Officer, to the station and said officer both wrote a ticket and told the registered station owner: "Shut it down, and clean everything up, take down the tree-stand and remove the lumber and the ladder and remove the barrel".

They never did anything. I cleaned up the trash several months later. With the barrel and tree stand I did nothing.

I kind'a figured, this way someone gets a good station location (been unused for three years) compete with barrel onsite and a tree stand and ladder. They clean it up at end of season. Kind'of a win for everyone including the Chugach National Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Bait sites on public land do not belong to any user. There are unwritten rules regarding this, but in the eyes of the state, unlimited numbers of people can register the exact same piece of dirt for a site. If you own the stand, ladder and barrel, you can certainly trade them for something else. But if you left them in the woods after baiting at a bear bait site, you did not fulfill your legal obligation to remove everything from the site after bear baiting. So if I were considering the offer, I would be very wary about accepting, as I may be setting myself up for a whole world of hurt when the troopers come a visiting and start asking about all the gear left over from last year.

SO.............What if I have never had a bait station, and have never baited bears........does that change anything......??? I have far more bears in my yard then I want.

SO.............What if these were "Illegal" bait stations, and someone took Federal Law Enforcement Officer, to the station and said officer both wrote a ticket and told the registered station owner: "Shut it down, and clean everything up, take down the tree-stand and remove the lumber and the ladder and remove the barrel".

They never did anything. I cleaned up the trash several months later. With the barrel and tree stand I did nothing.

I kind'a figured, this way someone gets a good station location (been unused for three years) compete with barrel onsite and a tree stand and ladder. They clean it up at end of season. Kind'of a win for everyone including the Chugach National Forest.
    In that case, it could be a great offer for a new resident or military lad looking to get into the game.

But you said it's an illegal site. Why would you offer an illegal site to anyone.
    If you are saying goes it's illegal because it was left after season then it makes sense. There is always someone willing to pay something for information on a spot.
    I know when I leave Alaska after this season I am going to tell someone they should use my spot that has been producing bears for years.

Your right........it was a stupid idea. Thanks, I can now see it would be better to just leave that stuff in the Chugach National Forest. What the hell, I have no children, and I am 71 y/o.........so it is not my problem. And sounds like your leaving Alaska, so it is clearly not your problem. So.......screw-it.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    But you said it's an illegal site. Why would you offer an illegal site to anyone...

As long as you are just telling them the location and making it clear that the items there are not yours or theirs in any way, then I don't see a problem. Just because someone leaves something behind illegally, it does not make it open season on it. For example, if you park your car illegally somewhere, it isn't free for whoever wants to come along and get it. It is up to the law enforcement people to address. If you have issues with it being there, contact the Troopers again and follow up.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    As long as you are just telling them the location and making it clear that the items there are not yours or theirs in any way, then I don't see a problem. Just because someone leaves something behind illegally, it does not make it open season on it. For example, if you park your car illegally somewhere, it isn't free for whoever wants to come along and get it. It is up to the law enforcement people to address. If you have issues with it being there, contact the Troopers again and follow up.

And.........what do you think AST will do.......really WHAT...??????? NO......seriously WHAT......??? Answer: Zilch, that is right, Zilch.

Surely you don't think AST are going to personally clean up the abandoned site.

And maybe all (13) Thirteen abandoned bait station sites in the same area. Some for decades.

And.........what do you think AST will do.......really WHAT...??????? NO......seriously WHAT......??? Answer: Zilch, that is right, Zilch.

Surely you don't think AST are going to personally clean up the abandoned site.

And maybe all (13) Thirteen abandoned bait station sites in the same area. Some for decades.
    Never said they would do anything. Relax. Just pointing out that it isn't your stuff to take or give away/trade. We don't always get things done the way we want it. That's life. Get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Never said they would do anything. Relax. Just pointing out that it isn't your stuff to take or give away/trade. We don't always get things done the way we want it. That's life. Get used to it.

If you know that special place where the sun does not shine........That would be a warm place for your advise.

You do understand I am talking about barrels and stands that have been abandoned for three to twenty years, in what was "WILDERESS" and is now a quasi "DUMP".

Is it legal to provide information in exchange for items of use to you? Absolutely.

Next question?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Is it legal to provide information in exchange for items of use to you? Absolutely.

Next question?

^^^ That is the bottom line right there.^^^

Swapping knowledge for some empty barrels with lids sounds like a good bargain for somebody with more barrels than brains!!!
    Kidding, but seriously, . . . . . . . . .
    If anybody believes there is a problem, or lack of value, in solid information pertaining to a bait site abandoned by another, maybe you just don't get it.