Thread: Nothing like an old side hammer gun!

Default Nothing like an old side hammer gun!

I drug out my old Investarms 45 rifle this evening and took it shooting. All I could find for round balls were .451 diameter so I tried them. My patches were .015 and I was nervous about them being a no go. To my surprise they fit. Pretty tight but very doable. The tight fit resulted in some squirrel noggin sized groups at 35 yards with but 40 grains of FFF.

I canít wait for squirrel season. My grandkids got me a coon skin hat complete with tail. Some moccasins for sneaking up on them and Iíll be set.

I should have been born 150 years ago!

Fun stuff, isn't it? I picked up a Lyman Great Plains rifle about two and half years ago and now my other rifles are gathering dust!
    Louis Knapp

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Fun stuff, isn't it? I picked up a Lyman Great Plains rifle about two and half years ago and now my other rifles are gathering dust!
    Yes, I agree! Our muzzleloader deer season is my favorite hunt of the year. I have had several of the fancy inline muzzleloader over the years but in my golden years I have been grabbing my side hammer 50 caliber. It is a carbine version of a Hawken also made by Investarms. Both of my IV guns are near 50 years old but of very good quality as is your Grait Plains Rifle.

Welcome back to the world of stinky smoke and fun, EKC! Gonna be real hard on your time at the reloading bench.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Reminds me of a video I saw of a pretty good sized brown bear shot with an old smokepole.........once the smoke cleared.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Yeah and I always hunt into the wind so that stink blows back on me. I smell like a boiled egg fart for the rest of the day!

Oh yeah. A neighbor built a nice little shooting shack with two benchrests in it, as well as a roof high enough for offhand shooting in the rain. Works great, but after a few hours with muzzleloaders in there our wives won't even let us into our own homes without first dropping all our clothes on our porches!
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Oh yeah. A neighbor built a nice little shooting shack with two benchrests in it, as well as a roof high enough for offhand shooting in the rain. Works great, but after a few hours with muzzleloaders in there our wives won't even let us into our own homes without first dropping all our clothes on our porches!
    A few years back I had several deprigation tags to fill during muzzleloader season. We had an awful October thunderstorm the night before season started. That next morning as the sun came up the valley in the woods was like a rain forest as far as humidity. I was sitting on a bluff 40 yards above the trail. A big loan doe walked up the trail and after I shot her that stinking smoke hung stagnant in the air forever. I reloaded Bessy thinking it was for naught. After all what deer in itís right mind will still be in the area with that sulfur smell afloat. About 10 minutes later you could still see the smoke hanging in the air. I was getting up to leave the noticed movement in the smokey haze. It was an 8 point buck walking through the smoke as if it wasnít there. I only had one buck tag and his name wasnít on it but to this day I am dumb founded as to why that buck walked into that sulfur cloud. It was like he was drawn to it. Ever hear of such a thing?