Thread: How fast do reds travel?

Default How fast do reds travel?

How many miles a day do they figure the reds travel up river on the Kenai after they hit the counters?
    How long till they are at Sterling/Bings Landing?
    Tennessee

Fish and Game estimates that it takes reds 7-10 days to travel from the mouth of the kenai to the weir below lower russian lake (78 miles). If so, I don't suppose it could take them that long before they're at Sterling/Bings.

Yeah I always have heard they do 10 river miles a day.

An F&G biologist freind of mine says it depends on the section of water they are running. Once they get into areas that they spawn in then they start to slow down because the lead fish stop to pick spawning areas. I don't know where exactly where these fish start choosing spawning locations.

Default River Miles

20 river miles to the Soldotna bridge, 36 river miles to the Moose river and 50 miles to skilak lake.

Default travel times

The time it takes first to get from the river mouth to the sonar counter depends on time of year. If a push of fish comes in early July it can take 2-4 days. However, at this time of year fish can move from the mouth to the sonar site (19 miles) in 24 hours. As one gets closer to optimum spawning time everyone is on the move to be there on time. So for this year I suspect the fish are moving fairly fast and 10-20 miles a day is in the correct range.

Relative to spawing areas - 30-50% of the fish spawn below Skilak Lake so they stop here. The rest move on up river - the Russian River times are correct but are influenced by Russian River water levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post

Relative to spawing areas - 30-50% of the fish spawn below Skilak Lake so they stop here. The rest move on up river - the Russian River times are correct but are influenced by Russian River water levels.
    Nerka,
    Are you clear on this one? Do that number of Reds spawn below the outlet of Skilak Lake? Could you ID some of those spawning areas?

I thought that more then 50% spaw upstream of Skilat Lake but I have no data to verify that. One of the things that can screw up the timeing for the upper river is Skilak Lake. The reds sometimes jet right through the lake into the upper river, and sometimes they hang out in the lake for a week or more before continuing up into the upper river and the tributaries. Just my observations from several years of fishing there.

Nerka,
    Interested in your response to the earilier question. I have not seen a whole lot of evidence of the numbers of fish you state as spawning below Skilak, other than in the Moose and Killey drainages. Do the reds spawn in the mainstem of the Kenai? Where else is there that kind of habitat in the lower reaches of the river, below the outlet of Skilak Lake, to support your evidence or claim?

I have seen a few spawners in Soldatna crk, but more in Funny river. Also i have no real proof that 30% to 50% stay below Skilak. If I had to guess it would be closer to the 30 %