Thread: Seirra Gameking and Prohunter Bullets You Experiences?

Default Seirra Gameking and Prohunter Bullets You Experiences?

I have to admit that I have fallen prey to the fancy bullets out there and have been using Barnes TSX, Swift Sciroccos, A-Frames, Northfork Technologies, etc. bullets the last 10 years or so.
    I have recently been working with an old firend that I had rebarreled as a 338 win mag. During break-in I was using Sierra 225 flat base Prohunter bullets available through Graf and Sons. My thought was to use these "cheaper" bullets for break-in and begning load development, but then to go to tougher "bullets" (read more expensive) bullets for hunting. Well these Sierras are shooting pretty darn well in this rifle and I thinking of using these to hunt with. With my 338 I am going to getting them going somewhere around 2750-2800 ft/sec. I'll use them to hunt deer on Kodiak (a 338 is more than enough for deer, but I think most folks know why I like carrying a heavier caliber on Kodiak), maybe moose (don't have anything particular planned this year yet), and Tadaa!!!!!! Delta Bison. Yep I am one of the very lucky to have pulled a bull permit.
    So I'd like to hear from folks who have been using Sierra Prohunter and Gameking bullets. If you are willing tell me about penetration, expansion, etc.
    Thanks
    Jim

In my experience, they're a little tender for close range high vel use. But when your impact velocity falls within the range specified by Sierra, they're a superb game bullet. Not sure about bustin heavy bone, but I don't shoot that way anyhow. Give me a broadside lung shot or I'll pass on an animal. For calibers starting a bullet at less than 3000 fps, they'd be one of my top choices for long range shooting on non-dangerous game. Same for Speer and Hornady. Their benefits have been kind of overlooked in all the miopia over life-or-death shots at close range that feeds the premium bullet fad, but any of the three brands shine out at long range and lower velocities where premium bullets don't expand reliably.

Thanks Brownbear,
    I think you hit it on the head saying that the so-called regular bullets are still great when used as the were intended. That is not at excessive velocities and keeping your shots resonable. keeping the velocities in the 2700-2800 ft/sec range with the 338 seems pretty reasonable to me.
    Any more opinions out there?
    Jim

Talking Sierra's

Hi Jim: I agree that Sierra's are a great bullet "if" everything is within a certain realm, like shot placement and velocity. Hard to find a better bullet for deer, caribou, etc, but I would think twice on using them for larger, tougher game. I've seen a 338, 225 grain nosler partition deflected on a bison rib and end up in the opposite flank, nicking only one lung. Shooter couldn't get in a finisher because of all the other buffalo gathering around him...took over 25 minutes to die...very disheartening and sad to say the least. Large bison ribs are at least 1 inch thick, so use a tough bullet like the tsx. Just my thought. And try for a heart shot...anything besides that (except head or neck, and those are very risky because of all the long hair) might not have a harmonious outcome. Some claim, arguably, that the bison is as tough, if not tougher, than the cape buff. Good luck with your choice and on your hunt. Ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't use premium bullets in my 338 either, because I don't think they are needed at 338 velocities.

I've never shot an animal with my 338 though.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up It has been my experience

That Seirra bullets have a very hard and brittle jacket. This is not to say that they will not work, it is just my observation that they tend to explode on impact at velocities around 2950 fps and above. The Seirra bullets do tend to be very accurate bullets and shoot very well in most guns. For long range shots they are the ticket and will work like a charm.

I tend to lean towards Spear because the jacket is more malleable and they tend to mushroom more than fracture on impact at the 2950 fps mark. I have had even premium bullets fracture on impact speeds above 2900 fps in gut boxes. I will take accuracy over bullet construction every day of the week. In my humble opinion, and I know I will get some flack over this, “premium” bullets are way over rated and have more sells pitch then fact to back up their claims.

If you intend on running into Sasquatch or roving elephants, then pack a couple of 250 grain solids and stuff them in the box when you have need. However if deer is your primary target a 225 grain Seirra will work just fine and should even work on brown bear in close quarters if the need should arise, just be prepared to shoot more than once.

Bigmnt

A week or 2 ago there was a thread on the shooting forum called "Bullet construction." That thread discussed everything you ever needed to know about the "premium" bullets. I asked the question about the Speer, Sierra and Hornady bullets and never got a reply as good as what this short thread has produced.

I bought a box of Hornady 270gr SPBT bullets for my 375 H&H and plan to use them on deer down on Admirality Island in September. But I also loaded up a bunch of 300gr Barnes TSX for Mr. Brownbear (not the one on these forums but the huge fuzzy kind). I'm headed to the shooting range in 20 minutes to see how the Hornady's shoot.

PS. Thanks for the great info on the Speer, Sierra and Hornady bullets.
    Brownbear - if memory serves you shoot a 375 - any comments on using these bullets in a 375 for bear/moose/bou?

Double post...sorry!
    Last edited by KirovPDR; 07-21-2007 at 08:39. Reason: Double post

Haven't shot a brown bear with them, though my mouth often shoots this particular brownbear in the foot.

I wouldn't hesitate, though. As I've said before, the long time guides I know prefer 375 for brown bear, and to a man they shoot Remington 270 grain Corelokt factory loads. I'm just not smart enough to see any difference between the performance of Hornady and Corelokt in the game I've shot, so I may never wise up on the need for premiums in every situation.

Everything I've ever shot with the 270 grain Hornady spire went down like it was electrocuted and the wound channels told me I never even came close to the embarrassment of bullet ED.

Default kirovPDR

KirovPDR,

I hit a large whitetail with a Federal soft point from a 375 H&H. I removed ALL of its neck and most of the right shoulder. Unless you meant to say was elk or moose, those soft points are WAY to Much for whitetail with neck shots. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

Hmm. I use Hornady 270 grainers (aka Federal) all the time for Sitka blacktail, and the neck shot is my favorite. Due to heavy construction of the bullet it kinda punches right through on light game with minimal meat damage, and I've never had anything like what happened to you. But as they say, each new animal is a rule unto itself.

That is the reason I asked the questions on the other post, I to never had that happen before. Well will see what happens to an elk soon.

Ron

Thumbs up Gameking

Used them for years Coast to Coast and here in alaska.

For heavier game the Sierra GK in .308- 200 SBT works very well in the 300 Win and 30-06 for Elk and Mosse......in the 338 Win the 250SBT works very well.

For deer size the 165 GK BTHP works better than the 165 GK SBT in the 308 Win and 30-06 and a tad more accurate.

The 180gr SBT in the 30-06 for deer/caribou size and black bear work very well.

Note: With the Nosler Accubond I have expericed less meat damage ......with the same accuracy as the Sierra GK.
    Alaska

Thanks for all the replies and food for thought.
    Jim