Thread: Boat trailer tires

Default Boat trailer tires

What are your go to brands for boat trailer tires here is South Central. I asked at ATS the other day and had never heard of the brand they carry, a quick search of the interwebs did not turn up much info. .

I need six 10 ply, loaded range e, 225-75-15. Where and what brand have you used and been happy with?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

try Trailercraft 222 W 92nd Ave, Anchorage, AK 99515
    (907) 563-3238
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

Well either Trailer Craft or GCR tires would be best choice. I just bought two from Trailer Craft but they were 6 ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Whatever you do resist the temptation to buy passenger tires and use them as trailer tires - very different sidewall load ratings...

Costco used to sell trailer tires - donít know if they do any longer. Quality Tire on E Potter sells some reasonably priced trailer tires. I bought 4 there for my 8x16 flatbed farm trailer a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamalaska View Post
    Whatever you do resist the temptation to buy passenger tires and use them as trailer tires - very different sidewall load ratings...
    Could you explain why that is? I would think a tire rated for a certain load is able to carry that weight. I know my pickup rear tires, 10ply load range E, have carried a lot more weight than they are rated for a time or two.
    Some of the tire companies won't mount a passenger/truck tire on a trailer , only designated trailer tires but I figured it's cuz if an accident was to occur, Americas lovely lawyers look for any reason to have a field day.... just a guess though

Trailer tires are specifically made for load carrying. Passenger tires have softer sidewalls for comfort and improved traction from drive wheels. The sidewall flex is bad for trailer sway and tandem/triple axle trailers put huge side loads on the tires when manuveuring in tight spaces.

10 Ply Load Range E truck tires are probably a lot closer to trailer tires than normal passenger tires.

etrailer.com has a bunch of good info on trailer tires. https://www.etrailer.com

Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    Trailer tires are specifically made for load carrying. Passenger tires have softer sidewalls for comfort and improved traction from drive wheels. The sidewall flex is bad for trailer sway and tandem/triple axle trailers put huge side loads on the tires when manuveuring in tight spaces.

10 Ply Load Range E truck tires are probably a lot closer to trailer tires than normal passenger tires.
    Ok, makes sense thanks. According to tirerack.com the Light truck tires are rated for trailer applications but not passenger car tires.

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    Could you explain why that is? I would think a tire rated for a certain load is able to carry that weight. I know my pickup rear tires, 10ply load range E, have carried a lot more weight than they are rated for a time or two.
    Some of the tire companies won't mount a passenger/truck tire on a trailer , only designated trailer tires but I figured it's cuz if an accident was to occur, Americas lovely lawyers look for any reason to have a field day.... just a guess though
    The belts are also laid in a different patterns and car/truck tires do more turning.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    The belts are also laid in a different patterns and car/truck tires do more turning.
    I probably have the bad taste in my mouth from trailer tires because it seems like trailers are often sold with POS overseas made tires...

Quote Originally Posted by roybekks View Post
    I probably have the bad taste in my mouth from trailer tires because it seems like trailers are often sold with POS overseas made tires...
    Mine are a real PITA to find as I have to run Gs.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Mine are a real PITA to find as I have to run Gs.
    Try
    www.bigbubbasalaska.com/tires-and-rims/
    They have them according to their Craigslist add.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"
    2018 12' Moto Jet "River Pup"

I agree that load rated E radial tires would be fine. Thatís what I have on my trailer.

GCR and Purcell would be good to
    conract too.

I had bias ply on mine and a few years ago GCR convinced me to go to radial. The downsize is you can't mix, so you have to do them all at once, but it seems like I am not changing tires as much now.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

American Tire usually has them in stock.

Go to GCR they only sell brand's youv'e heard off and have the 10ply tires. Their customer service is top notch and are really quick and getting the tires switched over.

We use the exclusively here at work and I do personally as well.