Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hatchery Humpies affecting king runs?

The differences between spring Chinook and summer Chinook likely ensured they could both spawn in and around the same area without “stepping on each other toes”.

Summer Chinook would have spawned in the larger, deeper areas of the river. The substrate would be larger too. The spring Chinook likely spawned in different areas of the same river. Yes, spring Chinook were primarily tributary spawners but they can also spawn the mainsteam. So a casual observer might not notice that one stock spawned in shallower areas while another spawned in deeper water with larger substrate. The ER Chinook and LR Chinook on the Kenai Rv display a similar spawning pattern.

Also, spring Chinook have a stream-type life history while summer Chinook have an ocean-type life history. That is, spring Chinook juveniles spend about 18 months in the river before moving downstream to the ocean. They migrate when they are between 6 – 9 inches long (roughly). Conversely, summer Chinook have an ocean-type life history whereas they spend a few months in the river before migrating downstream to the estuary in April/May as a sub-yearling. Sub-yearlings are about 3-4 inches in length. The summer Chinook juveniles would also spend another several months in the Columbia River estuary, below Cascade Rapids (the current site of Bonneville Dam). Spring Chinook juveniles don’t spend much time in the estuary. They migrate directly into the salt as a 6-9 inch yearling.

These varying life history characteristics enable Columbia River Chinook to take advantage of different environments within the river, and the different climatic conditions present in the Pacific Northwest.

Lastly, we have strayed from the original intent of this thread. My suggestion is to cut off the discussion of the Columbia River since it’s not related to Fisheries Management in Alaska. But thanks for the conversation.

Bring some heads into ADFG for otolith analysis. That would answer the straying question.
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I was strictly referring to commercial hatcheries in Alaska.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Charlie View Post
    My 2019 observation is that there seems to be an incredible abundance of Pinks cook inlet wide, from the Kenai river to Ship Creek to reports from the Parks highway streams of massive amounts of pinks at every stream mouth.
    Just yesterday I walked down to ship creek on my lunch break and the area above the dam was loaded with pinks, probably in the neighborhood of 4-5 thousand of them. This was from just above the dam to the first big corner on its way up towards Reeve road. These fish were digging redds right there above the dam, attempting to spawn in large cobble. This seemed off to me, and my question relates to strays. For the folks on here that have fisheries experience, how far do fish stray from their home streams? For instance, could these be strays in Cook Inlet from PWS?

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    Bring some heads into ADFG for otolith analysis. That would answer the straying question.
    I’ve heard talk the odd year pinks and regular even year pinks are doing really well because of the warmer spring weather and warmer coastal area waters. Same with the chum because both species have a short time in river after hatching they go right out and the warmer waters in both river and ocean really help them. Don’t know if it is true just what I heard talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by Seinerman View Post
    My statement was from a business standpoint of Chinook cost/return. Why did you lump that with Sockeye Charlie's observations of pink salmon abundance??
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Hey FishGod....tried to pm you but you're "full".........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456