Thread: Celluar cameras for bear baiting

Default Celluar cameras for bear baiting

Ok so im a bit confused with what the regualtion, or soon to be regulation on using celluar cameras for baiting. I have read on one site that after july 1st we can use the cameras still but cant hunt the site until after 3am the next day. I just went to F&G to register my site and they said that the regulation is you will bot be allowed to use them for hinting hunting period. Anyone have any other insite on this? The celluar camera is great because it allows you to pattern your bear and not have to spend as much time and money going to and from a site and possibly nothing there.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...s_complete.pdf

Page 18

Hunting Regulations say.....

General hunting restrictions for all game
    You MAY NOT take game by:

Using a pit, re, laser sight, electronically-enhancednight vision, any forward looking infrared device, any device that has been airborne, controlled remotely and used to spot or locate game with the use of a camera or video device, radio communication, cellular or satellitetelephone, arti cial salt lick, explosive, expanding gasarrow, bomb, smoke, deer urine, elk urine, or chemicals (excluding scent lures), EXCEPT:
    -- Scent lures (without deer or elk urine) may be used for ungulates, and for bears ONLY under a black bear baiting permit.
    -- Range nders may be used.
    -- Electronic calls may be used for all game animals except moose.
    -- Communications equipment may be used for safety; they may not be used to aid in taking of game.

-- In the Unit 20D bison hunt, the use of ground-based radio communications, including cellular or satellite phones, to locate bison is allowed.

Pretty self explanatory.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Thats talking about Airborne device, like a drone. Im refering to a game camera mounted on a tree facing towards your bait.

Quote Originally Posted by jnjgaudette View Post
    Thats talking about Airborne device, like a drone. Im refering to a game camera mounted on a tree facing towards your bait.

cellular or satellitetelephone
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

A barrel full of donuts, with a cellular camera pointed at it, documenting the schedule of habituated bears, whilst the woodsman balances a bowl of cheese puffs on his belly and takes notes as he reclines in his Man Cave, all in order to do as little actual Hunting as possible.....

So THIS is how Jim felt about Marlin Perkins......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Not a phone. A celluar game camera. Starting in july they are outlawing the use of celluar game cameras. Basically ones that can take pictures snd send them to an app. Right now it is legal use them.

Not really sure what that means. But if i use the camera to pattern the bears, not hunting them, just feeding and viewing them in their natural habitats and then remove the celluar function get my game tags and go hunt the site, would that be considered using the celluar camera for the taking of a game animal?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    A barrel full of donuts, with a cellular camera pointed at it, documenting the schedule of habituated bears, whilst the woodsman balances a bowl of cheese puffs on his belly and takes notes as he reclines in his Man Cave, all in order to do as little actual Hunting as possible.....

So THIS is how Jim felt about Marlin Perkins......

Not really sure what that means. But if i use the camera to pattern the bears, not hunting them, just feeding and viewing them in their natural habitats and then remove the celluar function get my game tags and go hunt the site, would that be considered using the celluar camera for the taking of a game animal?
    Seems to me that it would violate the spirit if not the actual letter of the law. It would be pretty hard to argue to a trooper or judge that you didn’t use a cellular camera to assist in the taking of game in such a scenario.

-- Communications equipment may be used for safety; they may not be used to aid in taking of game.

Then you say.....”
    But if i use the camera to pattern the bears, not hunting them, just feeding and viewing them in their natural habitats and then remove the celluar function get my game tags and go hunt the site....”

Then u are wondering if the troopers might think u are doing something illegal? What if he asks u, “Why did u have the camera at the site if u weren’t using it for helping u harvest game?”

How would u answer that?

Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Finding ways to “get around“ regulations is simply inexcusable. The regulations are put there for a reason, we all know their intent. Looking for “loopholes“ so that you can avoid the intent of the law while arguing the “letter of the law“ is simply a ridiculous exercise. It makes us look bad as hunters, and creates the morass of complicated regulations we have to deal with. A prime example is the fork horn moose regulation. We all know that a fork horn looks like a slingshot. But everybody wants to argue that the moose they shot adheres to the definition yet we all know that it was not a fork horn. That is why we don’t get to hunt fork horns anymore.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Im not saying thst i will actually do that sceniro at all. If the law says i cannot use it for taking game then i wont use it. I just find it stupid that you cannot use the techonolgoy that is out there and have been able to use for as long as it has been available, and now they want to change it. I do know that people will try and figure ways around the law, but i am not one that will, i just want to set that part straight. I would like to know why they passed that law if anyone knows the reason why?

Im not saying thst i will actually do that sceniro at all. If the law says i cannot use it for taking game then i wont use it. I just find it stupid that you cannot use the techonolgoy that is out there and have been able to use for as long as it has been available, and now they want to change it. I do know that people will try and figure ways around the law, but i am not one that will, i just want to set that part straight. I would like to know why they passed that law if anyone knows the reason why?
    Well, right off the bat I would say that comments to the BOG were that it was unethical, flaunted the tenets of fair chase and was just a means for lazy hunters to pretend they were hunters. In addition, EVERYBODY is equal without a high tech advantage, so prohibiting remote “hunting” keeps the playing field level, so to speak.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If this is a registered baiting station, you are hunting. Otherwise, you are intentionally feeding wildlife, which is also against the law....soooo.........
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Friend of mine called and asked. They said if you use them and view pictures you can’t hunt that bait till after 3am following day. Basicly the same as if you had flown that day.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Homerdave..... I don’t think you’re being fair w regard to your ‘forkhorn’ analogy. The ‘rule’ as written defining forkhorn was done purposely to provide specific guidelines to make the forkhorn determination. To fault a fella for actually using those purposeful definitions and claim they are grasping at a “loophole” is totally unfair to the hunter who is following within the law.
    Compliments to BigAk comments above. He’s on target.
    OP... You wrote above....”now they want to change it”. What are u talking about there?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    If this is a registered baiting station, you are hunting. Otherwise, you are intentionally feeding wildlife, which is also against the law....soooo.........
    You can run a bait station for the purpose of viewing wildlife. You have to follow the same rules but there is nothing preventing you from taking only pictures.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

See this is the same thing that i have been told by one fish and game and then another one said there illegal to be used. So i called the trooper and he also saod there illegal to be used. So somewhere someone is putting out some bad information. This is why i asked this question.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Friend of mine called and asked. They said if you use them and view pictures you can’t hunt that bait till after 3am following day. Basicly the same as if you had flown that day.

See this is the same thing that i have been told by one fish and game and then another one said there illegal to be used. So i called the trooper and he also saod there illegal to be used. So somewhere someone is putting out some bad information. This is why i asked this question.
    I would err on the side of caution. If you get the wrong trooper checking your site that's a ticket I looking at the rule I doubt you would have a case in court.