Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Celluar cameras for bear baiting

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, only you need to change one word there - the last sentence should read "Let's go shoot him", as that bears little resemblance to hunting.

I get that there is room for disagreement over hunting preferences and ethics, but at what point is a hunt no longer a hunt? This doesn't seem all that far off from a high-fence hunt in a small area where a kill is basically guaranteed.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Brian M again.

Definition of hunt

transitive verb
    1 a : to pursue for food or in sport hunt buffalo
    b : to manage in the search for game hunts a pack of dogs
    2 a : to pursue with intent to capture hunted the escapees
    b : to search out : seek
    3 : to drive or chase especially by harrying
    members were hunted from their homes J. T. Adams
    4 : to traverse in search of prey hunts the woods
    intransitive verb
    1 : to take part in a hunt
    2 : to attempt to find something
    3 : to oscillate alternately to each side (as of a neutral point) or to run alternately faster and slower used especially of a device or machine

Habituating a bear to sticking it's head into a barrel full of donuts and popcorn, and then killing said bear from a tree stand ain't hunting, it's harvesting.
    Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously. ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Yep, only you need to change one word there - the last sentence should read "Let's go shoot him", as that bears little resemblance to hunting.

I get that there is room for disagreement over hunting preferences and ethics, but at what point is a hunt no longer a hunt? This doesn't seem all that far off from a high-fence hunt in a small area where a kill is basically guaranteed.
    Me thinks once you started baiting you kind of took the hunting part out already

Like Jake said they are legal if you treat it right. Still trying to figure out the advantages. Baiting is about selective harvesting most times. For me its about introducing an 8yo boy to hunting this year. Its legal so dont listen to the peanuts around here. If I had service Id use one. I

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Not sure I understand the 3pm the next day rule. 3pm the next day after you arrive at your bait site? Cellular camera will keep sending pics to your phone everytime there is movement right? So 3 pm the next day after the last pic was received?

Sounds like a headache to me... just get a regular cam. Your gonna have to rebait barrels anyway right?

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    Not sure I understand the 3pm the next day rule. 3pm the next day after you arrive at your bait site? Cellular camera will keep sending pics to your phone everytime there is movement right? So 3 pm the next day after the last pic was received?

Sounds like a headache to me... just get a regular cam. Your gonna have to rebait barrels anyway right?
    It's 3AM the next day(or that night however you look at it), this law hasn't taken effect yet though not til July 1 from what I understand. I've been running a cell cam at my property and it works great even with spotty service. I can turn the cell function off remotely via app so it'll work like a regular cam, so say I wanted to hunt it the next day I'd just turn cell function off. I like the idea so I can see activity and if someone messes with my site while i'm on the slope. No advantage while i'm home as i'm always out there anyhow.

well the regs i read show you can hunt the same day you fly to most units as long as you are 300 feet from plane? for bear baiting and deer hunting that is.

I talked to Fish and Game about this on Monday. There is a lot of uncertainty now as to the exact final wording of the regulation. As of Monday, there was new information out, between lawyers, LEO, and the Deparment of F&G. And now, for some random thoughts. 1- The use of cellular transmitting game cameras was one of the specific targets of the proposed regulation, so was discussed very thoroughly by Advisory Committees, the public and the BOG. It isn't just some sudden wild hair that got turned into law. 2.- 3am the following day rule. This lines up with same day airborn regs. So the cameras, as the plane, can still be used to spot where game has been, but are not used to actually take the game. Just because a bear has been on the bait, does not mean he will visit when you get there. Same as spotting a bear from the air; there is no guarantee he will be there the next day. 3.- I think this is just a good example of regulators trying to keep up with advancing technologies. The original electronic communication laws were a response to walkie talkies. Then cell phones. Now satellite signals. The most successful hunters have always been those with the most information about the game they pursue; what is available in the hunting area, and what their habits are. Gaining that information used to involve a lot more ground work than it does now. Cell cameras gather and transmit information; a person can learn more about their hunting area with less travel to and from that area. Whether that is a good thing or bad is the subject of much debate, and is now regulated more tightly.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    It's 3AM the next day(or that night however you look at it), this law hasn't taken effect yet though not til July 1 from what I understand. I've been running a cell cam at my property and it works great even with spotty service. I can turn the cell function off remotely via app so it'll work like a regular cam, so say I wanted to hunt it the next day I'd just turn cell function off. I like the idea so I can see activity and if someone messes with my site while i'm on the slope. No advantage while i'm home as i'm always out there anyhow.
    I got ya.... 3 am next day. I still don't see any benefit as you can't do anything if your not there. Only benefit from a cellular cam I can think of is you get to sit on the couch if nothing interesting is showin up.

I just carry a card reader and view all my pics on my phone, screenshot anything I want to keep and erase all the rest. I am targeting moose through the summer though and there is no pattern to em that I have found yet. Get black bears as well and the occasional Brown, no pattern there either. But I haven't used one baiting for bears and haven't baited bears in a long while.

Sounds like a possible reason for Fish and Game to go snooping through your phone records as well if they ever thought they had a reason. Think I will just stay away from the cellular ones.

I have been using cameras for about 10 years or more. I have never been able to pattern a bear. I know who has shown up but to be able to "pick a time" and show up and have the bear there has never happened. Once a bait gets hot, they seem to come in and eat until something disturbs them. Then they head up hill and take a nap until hungry again. I have even had days when the bait was active the day before, only to show up and not have one come in. Then you have last year. First time I have had two boars come in and eat together. First time I had two sows, both with three cubs a piece near the bait at the same time. First time I have ever had ten bears within sight at one time. Last year broke all records.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I agree with Dave. I used to hunt whitetails in the midwest and I've never been able to pattern an animal with a camera and shoot it. I used to run 10 cameras and they caused me to hunt and hike WAY more than if I would've just sat on stand for a few days and shot the first decent decent buck that strolled by. I would usually end up hunting a couple days a week throughout the entire 3 month season waiting on one or two certain deer I had my eye on. I am sure a good number of guys are the same way with selecting bears.

I am glad there are hunting options like bear baiting for elderly/young/disabled that can't make it in the alpine, people that can't afford a snow machine/argo to chase down bears (real ethical stuff there), and people that live in areas with dense vegetation. I'd rather have people out baiting bears than playing video games or robbing little old ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by AK SWAMPER View Post
    well the regs i read show you can hunt the same day you fly to most units as long as you are 300 feet from plane? for bear baiting and deer hunting that is.
    Where are you seeing that? I would like to look more into that for the specifics if possible. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Where are you seeing that? I would like to look more into that for the specifics if possible. Thanks.
    I am seeing that now. Yep, looks like it is very specific to bears at bait stations and deer in specific locations. Interesting. Good to learn new things.

I use my wireless camera to parrern the bears, yes pattern them. I have noticed the last couple years using it that the same bears come in around the same time everyday, Multuple times a day sometimes. As far as the 3 am deal, i would have no problem with that if it was the case. I live over 3 hours away from my bait as it is, not like i can just get up and drive there becaise i see a bear on the site and think he will still be therr when i get there. If i know there are bears there today and previous days i can turn off the camera from transmitting via phone so come midnight there wont be any new pictures that day making it legal for me to hunt. I know it also helps with know if your bait is almost empty or even having some *******s come up on your site and check it out. Like i did last year.

I just really hope they provide some better more clear information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12