Thread: Tent Bear Fence

Default Tent Bear Fence

I'm thinking of getting a bear fence for setting up around my tent while camping. My wife has always been nervous sleeping in the tent with bears around and this would help to ease her nerves. To be honest, at some locations I'd probably sleep a little better too with a fence up. We always keep a clean camp and would continue to do so even with a fence set up.

I haven't heard a whole ton about them. What do you guys think of them? Do they work? Suggestions on a good one? I would like to carry it a few miles, so the lighter the better as long as it is still functional.

The 3.7 lb UDAP one looks pretty cool.
    Bear Shock Electric Fence (Covers 27ft. x 27ft. sq. area) (Ultra Light 3.7 lbs.): UDAP Pepper Power

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by treillw View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a bear fence for setting up around my tent while camping. My wife has always been nervous sleeping in the tent with bears around and this would help to ease her nerves. To be honest, at some locations I'd probably sleep a little better too with a fence up. We always keep a clean camp and would continue to do so even with a fence set up.

I haven't heard a whole ton about them. What do you guys think of them? Do they work? Suggestions on a good one? I would like to carry it a few miles, so the lighter the better as long as it is still functional.

Bear Shock Electric Fence (Covers 27ft. x 27ft. sq. area) (Ultra Light 3.7 lbs.): UDAP Pepper Power

Thanks!
    Yes they work great. Kind of a pain in the butt to put up and down. Especially on trips with multiple campsites like float trips. But they do keep the bears away for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by treillw View Post

Thanks!

I've got that exact one for moose camp. With kids and wife starting to come out the last few seasons, it offers all peace of mind. I can surround our 12X12 Arctic Oven and 10X20 cook tent with it. Extra purchase, get the meter you can hang on the fence to see that it is actually live. The light will blink on the power unit, but that does not mean the fence is 'hot', so unless you want to touch it to test it out, get one! lol. This helped me out big time last season, come to find out the little grounding stake they supply with the kit wasn't long enough to get down into the tundra and meet a good ground. I happened to have a extra long metal tent stake lying around and used that to get a good ground and make my fence live. If I didn't have the meter, I would have assumed all was good......A bear came through camp as evidenced by his tracks one morning, he didn't touch fence, but it reinforced my decision on having one.
    Last edited by BIGAKSTUFF; 04-13-2018 at 14:05. Reason: can't spell for crap
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

This video shows just how effective they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv2G-aRDvyY

Wider ribbon is good for visibility. If you opt for the cord instead, tie some flagging tape to it as a visual marker, both for you and the bears. You want the bear to see it and be curious, so that it investigates with its nose.

Anyone have experience with this one? Supposed to put out a more powerful shock and it's a bit lighter. It's a little harder on the wallet though.

https://electrobearguard.com/ebg-lite.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    ....But they do keep the bears away for sure....
    Well, kinda..... just depends on the bear. A young, just curious bear? Probably yes. A hungry big old ornery bear hell bent on checking out your camp? Maybe not. Do they work a lot of the time? Yep. Do they work 100% of the time?.....nope.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!