Thread: Ground Blinds

Default Ground Blinds

I'm using a ground blind at one of my 2 stations for a friend who cannot climb tree stands. So I am wondering for any other fellow baiters out there, how do you guys set your blinds? Do you let the camo do the work or do you cover some of it with branches. BRWNBR gave me some good info on preventing bears from tearing up the blind. Just seeing what the forum members are doing for concealment.

Jake,

how about that info to keep the blind intact???

Chris

RESPECT to anyone who hunts bear from a ground blind.

The first year I hunted from a ground blind I bought one and tried to blend it in with the environment as best as possible by covering it with branches and leaves. The bears ended up shredding it to pieces by the end of the season. Now I just set up behind a fairly large downed tree and Iíve created a wall on the back side with a bunch of logs just stacked between 2 trees.

hehe...if you consider a tent a ground blind then yes.. yes i do.. my camp is 103 yards from tent to barrel... we do well just try to give em a bit of distance... usually we take them from a lawn chair in front of the tent.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

however if you want to make your own ground blind.. hit up the army surplus stores and get some good ol camo netting. cut some dead fall down and create a "half moon to 3/4 moon" at your desired distance. stick the good ol twigs, foliage etc all around and into your netting. when you leave toss a few mothballs around your sitting area (if you are not super close to the station). Feed the bears and get them accustomed to your make shift blind. What I have learned is as long as they have plenty of grub to snack on they will leave your stuff alone. We have left coolers, tents (hung in trees about 5' off the ground), chairs etc at camp when we run back to resupply (2-3 days) and not once have they touched our stuff... unless we let the barrel go dry for more than a week then they leave you a note saying "feed us or we will eat your stuff" the must destruction I have ever had was 1 trail cam chewed up (happens to at least 1 camera each year due to me being forgetful and grabbing the card with smelly **** on my hands), and I left a hat about 50 yards from the station and forgot about it.. found it during moose season with a few "taste test" holes.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

I bought a pop up primos blind years ago with the plan to hunt from the ground. Was going to try create a "boxed" in area to set the blind with logs, mostly for my "protection". Never got to trying it. May try it this year at rifle distance. In bow range(20-25 yd to barrel), I kind of prefer having some upper advantage. Sure be more comfy than a ladder or hang on stand. Good topic!

All good stuff. We are now thinking about setting our pop up blind about 20-25 yards from the barrel and throwing some branches around it. I manage to keep my barrel stocked really well being that I re bait it every 2 days so that shouldn't be an issue. Really my main concern is a young bear coming in and deciding its a nice toy to play with and start ripping it up.

I probably wouldn't want to sit on the ground if I was bowhunting, but last year I took my rifle and just sat next to a tree 75 yards downwind from the barrel. Worked just fine. No sign of brown bears at my spot though...

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    ...Sure be more comfy than a ladder or hang on stand. Good topic!
    The first time I stayed out all night in a tree stand I said never again...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Do you ground hunters hang a piece of clothing in/on/near your blind? Spray it with deet?

I'm finally giving the baiting deal a try this year. I plan on using brush to make a ground "blind" about 75 yards from my bait barrel. If the site produces, I will put up a tree stand for archery next year. Not gonna make the extra financial, physical, or time investment into something that may be a bust.

I rarely use DEET i just run 1-3 thermocells

I use a barronet pop up blind and run a thermacell inside. Iím almost 100 yards off my bait and I take the blind down whenever I leave. It only takes a couple minutes to set up and gives me piece of mind knowing it will be there and workable when I show up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

We have killed lots of black bears from a pop up ground blinds. 20 yards from the bait. Both with bows and rifles. They are mostly bug proof and I think it realy keeps your sent down when there is a breeze. I wont do it any other way.