Thread: Baiting out of Alpine Creek Lodge!

Default Baiting out of Alpine Creek Lodge!

Just giving everyone a heads up. We'll have the barrels out again. Probably 4 stations, but not 100% sure yet. These are for registered overnight guests, free to use. We'll write permission slips out once you show up at the lodge. Talked to fish and game, and all is good with that, as long as I'm not charging for using the barrels. Encourage folks to bring their own dog food and lures. Try to keep it simple. 907 products are excellent, dog food of any kind, molasses, things like that. I dumped a bunch of super smelly duck carcasses out last spring, and they didn't like that...

Room rates are $85 a night per person, includes all your meals, bedding, etc, -10% for forum members. Make sure you tell Jennifer when you call you want your 10% discount for the forum. We'll try to keep them fishing, unless we run out of food.

I'll put the barrels out on April 15th, but I would not be expecting any bears to show up before May 1st, at the very earliest. Snow machine access only probably until a ways after May 1st. Usually we can get moving on wheelers by Memorial Day Weekend. We keep them working until the end of June. Starting now, the snow machine hunting for bears is excellent. This is around magic time for bears emerging from the dens. Black bears showed up on the barrels last spring for the first time. Not many, but at least we seen a few.

Stations will be on a first come, first serve basis, each day. I've done it reserved before, and people leave early, or don't hunt them the entire time while bears keep eating my food... The goal is to thin out bears to help out the moose population in the area. If you don't get a barrel one night, don't worry, there are many other ways to find and hunt bears in the spring on the Denali Highway!

Road is expected to begin being plowed on April 15th. I expect they will get to us between April 20th and April 25th. That's the time to be driving with a snow machine in the back of your truck, in case you spot one up on a hillside.

Good luck with the bears and all your hunting this season!

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Temps have been getting warmer. Today we got up to 37 degrees. Snow will be melting fast. To make reservations call 907-743-0565 or 907-398-9673.
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

I made my reservation the other day. Will bring up what I can, see you on the 18th.

I'm planning 200 pounds dog food and then some molasses...

wondering about what would get griz attention quick...

had reservation since January....

Chris

Chris,
    Yep, you do have the stations reserved, before we changed policy, so you'll have a barrel assigned. I've been baiting for 7 years now, out here, just getting pictures until 2 seasons ago. I have found that dog food, molasses, and beaver carcasses work best. Plus, all the 907 baiting products. The key also seems to be in having the barrels out on April 15th. They may not come into them until May, but they do walk by. I'm thinking they are imprinting locations of food sources, then they come back with a vengeance from mid-May to the end of June.

I will personally be away from the lodge from now until June 2nd, traveling and working, but the barrels are full and fishing as we speak. Camera's are on them. They have dog food, grease, syrup. One barrel has some high protein sled dog food that was left at the lodge this winter, so I'm curious how that works out.

Good luck All!

Claude

Awesome offer here, if I don't have luck at my baitsite i'll make a trip up there in June. Stopped by your place last July, nice place and people!

Default Highway is plowed from Cantwell to Alpine Creek!

Highway has been plowed to Alpine Creek from Cantwell. We are driving in and out now. Now is the time for a road trip and hunting spring bears. Just drive the road, bring good glass and snow shoes! Good luck!

Claude

PS: Thanks Blaster! Look forward to seeing you back out there.

as of Wednesday, it was still early up there.

we seen wolves, moose, caribou, porcupines, hares, ravens, fox, and mosquitos....

no bears

happen to know tat one of Claude's baits has a whole hog cabled to it

should have a grizzly in here within the next week or so

good luck to all hunters

Chris

what it looks like from Claude's bear stand...
    Attached Images Attached Images

akgunsandammo,

That’s where I got a grizzly last June. Be sure to sit there most of the night. I think the sow I got showed up around three in the morning. Good times at Alpine Creek Lodge.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    what it looks like from Claude's bear stand...
    Any bears on camera? I was out there the week before and something hit the bait at the “Y” station before I got there. A few nice tracks around both of those stands. Probably heading back up in next week or so.

Y stand had cub ears on camera.

no bears on either stand as of the 30th...

however, there's a whole hog staked out on Claude's stand...

AND 250 lbs of food and 2 gallon molasses on the stand in the photo

Good luck to someone
    Chris