Thread: Alexander Kings?

Default Alexander Kings?

Took a trip to the river in what I thought would be prime King time. 9 miles up to look at a cabin for sale saw no kings but what I did see was Northern's laying in wait every where. Did the Kings ever show???? I know the NP have been in the lake for years but I never have seen so many in the river. I am afraid for the remanider of the water shed if these fish continue unchecked........ I for one will start targetting these fish!
    Louie

I am planing a trip to the creek very soon and pike is what I'll be targeting. Sounds like I'll have no problems finding them. Did you fish for pike while you were there? If so what produced the best catch rate?

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    Took a trip to the river in what I thought would be prime King time. 9 miles up to look at a cabin for sale saw no kings but what I did see was Northern's laying in wait every where. Did the Kings ever show???? I know the NP have been in the lake for years but I never have seen so many in the river. I am afraid for the remanider of the water shed if these fish continue unchecked........ I for one will start targetting these fish!
    Louie
    What you experienced was extremely low water conditions. The kings behavior was different than normal because the water was shallow. Noboby knows the return numbers yet but I've seen kings laying in front of Sucker Creek where we'd expect them to be right now. I think the low catch rate was a product of low water more than low king numbers. The same low water explains why you can see the pike. They've been there for as long as I can remember but took a little effort to see. This year effort wasn't required.

Was it you that bought the airplane?

Quote Originally Posted by FSHKLR View Post
    I am planing a trip to the creek very soon and pike is what I'll be targeting. Sounds like I'll have no problems finding them. Did you fish for pike while you were there? If so what produced the best catch rate?

I remember you had asked whether a jon boat could get to the lake. During a typical spring with high water, yes. It's a twisty, long ride, but it can be done. This year? Not a chance. Not only is the water lower than anybody's seen before but there are downed trees stretching from bank-to-bank about a mile downstream of Sucker Creek. If the water levels were normal you'd probably see those trees swing in the current and make some space to get by but so far that isn't happening. I didn't bother to look further upstream but I wouldn't be surprised if there are similar obstructions up there. There are enough gravel shallows that getting TO those trees would be a trick right now.

Cool thanks for he info mrpid. I plan on heading there this weekend. I was thinking maybe I'd find some silvers and go for pike the rest of the day. Will I be able to get to them with the low water? And are they even near the mouth or do I have to go up some?