Thread: Weapons

Default Weapons

Seems a Murph as moderator has deleted my last post on Noisey Neighbors.

Come on Murphy let everyone see what I posted. It was short to the point and not degrading in any way. Not sure why you closed it. I know your argue ment was lame but comeon now.......your the one that opened it up for discussion & debate.

Reopen the thread so I can repost.........

Default Weapons Ban!?

Well, Murphy the moderator gets to do that, because the last two posts, yours and mine, were going down a bad road.

Let's continue that discussion here. The Nosey neighbors were not really pertaining to shooting in Alaska anyway and it became a catch-all for lots of other comments, particularly yours and mine.

Should we call our guns Weapons?

Go for it, you first,
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I own no weapons. I do own one rifle, one longsword, one wood axe, one wood splitting maul and a large collection of various knives. Not one of these is a weapon.
    Chris Willhoite

Talking on the subject

Besides a few rifles, pistols, knives and a pitchfork, I do own a weapon. Made especially for dispatching human invaders...not at all for hunting prey...and that's my 1736 naval shouldered fired blunderbuss. Since it had only one function, I'd say it is a weapon. Thankfully, I don't have any nosey neighbors...that I know of...at least not yet. Do friends count?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Default Weapons

Definitions of weapon on the Web:
    • any instrument or instrumentality used in fighting or hunting; "he was licensed to carry a weapon"
    • a means of persuading or arguing; "he used all his conversational weapons"
      wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A weapon is a tool which can be used during combat to kill or , to destroy property, or to otherwise render resources non-functional or unavailable. It may be used to attack and defend, and consequently also to threaten. The use of weapons has been recorded since the advent of cave painting, and the process has been formulated resulting in both martial arts and strategic doctrines.

I really don't have a problem with the WORD WEAPON...I think this maybe a hang-up of some...but I have some weapons!

I'll accept those definitions of weapon and even the legal definitions are similar, but I still fell we should be leery of using weapon in reference to any firearms, knives, etc we may own. My baseball bat or fists can be referred to as weapons, but I won't. it's all about perception. If someone perceives the tools we use in pursuit of our sport, be it baseball or hunting, as weapons that can seriously degrade our credibility. it also makes it easier to limit our rights, after all it's much easier to confiscate a weapon then it is a tool.
    Chris Willhoite

Default WORDS with the same meaning...whatever!

Maybe we should also call our semi-automatic weapons, GAS OPERATED GUNS... sounds like it's less likely to kill a moose to me . I know there's a lot of play with words out there by our laywer types but these are the same people that will tell you that a BJ IS NOT SEX. So make it what you want it to be! Whatever makes you feel better, because feelings are important

Smile Sure thats what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Well, Murphy the moderator gets to do that, because the last two posts, yours and mine, were going down a bad road.

Let's continue that discussion here. The Nosey neighbors were not really pertaining to shooting in Alaska anyway and it became a catch-all for lots of other comments, particularly yours and mine.

Should we call our guns Weapons?

Go for it, you first,
    I would be glad to discuss this further. BUT....

Not sure If I want to discuss/debate anyone who has the edit button at his control.

Thats kinda one sided EH?

Murphy,

Thanks for the PM. Your are the kinda "MAN" I was figureing you to be.

Your insight and knowledge is appreciated.

I disagree with your political correctness and the twisting of words in an attempt to appease or convert someones thinking.

I will post more on my thoughts and will re-consider a discussion including my thoughts on the NRA.

But for now I'm getting my gear ready to head for the hills in the AM. Talk to you next week.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by aksalcha View Post
    Murphy,

Thanks for the PM. Your are the kinda "MAN" I was figureing you to be.

Your insight and knowledge is appreciated.

I disagree with your political correctness and the twisting of words in an attempt to appease or convert someones thinking.

I will post more on my thoughts and will re-consider a discussion including my thoughts on the NRA.

But for now I'm getting my gear ready to head for the hills in the AM. Talk to you next week.
    Thanks. Have a good time, a fun trip I hope. I'll be gunnin' for you when you return.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Words are important...

This discussion is not about political correctness...it's about object recognition in our culture. Sure my fists or a baseball bat could be weapons, but you don't hear people in our culture or the media saying things like, "I broke my weapon (hand) when I fell." "Raise your weapon (hand) if you have a question." "He can really swing a weapon (bat)." The reason you don't hear such references is because hands and bats are recognized in our culture as hands and bats.

I want rifles and pistols to be recognized in our culture as rifles and pistols...not weapons. That seems simple enough doesn't it? How could that not be important? As an example, I've been correcting nonshooting people for years when I hear them use the term "assault rifle." It's amazing how many of them can not define it, but they are adamantly against them and fully support governmental actions to ban them..."Why should a citizen need to have an assault rifle"?..."Anyone with an assault rifle must be up to no good"..."Assault rifles are not for hunting." Their position is really understandable because of what they hear and what they don't know. However, we in the shooting community know better.

Words and object recognition are very important, and don't ever underestimate their importance. As one last example, think about the "Patriot Act"...a very carefully titled act. If any of you were troubled by the loss of your civil liberties and voiced an objection to the Patriot Act, did that make you "unpatriotic"? (I threw this last example in here to further illustrate the power of words...but I don't mean to hijack this thread into a discussion of the Patriot Act...so let's not go there).

Doc