Thread: Fishcats and extended trips...

Default Fishcats and extended trips...

Good morning guys!

Last summer Gulkana Raft Rentals picked up a bunch of 9 foot AIRE Fishcats and most were rented by our single day fishing groups. Man they work well and the fishermen loved them...

Well last summer my kids decided to try them on over night trips and to my surprise the worked well with ultra-light gear. This summer I am leading a 5 FishCat group down the Delta River out of the Tangle Lakes. This will be a 3 day- 35 mile fishing/camping trip and we are going to try to max these guys out, push the limit per say. Our objective is to see if we can begin to market them as a multi day craft capable of supporting a multiday trip. We have extended the frames behind the seat to accommodate a smaller cooler and dry bags. I will give you a report after we do it but I think it will be a fun and low cost option and to top it off make that SICK portage on the lowerTangle Lake/Delta River a walk in the park.

The Fishcats rent for $65 a day and its my thought that this will be a good way to relieve the pressure of a family of 4 all loaded up in a raft for 3-4 days. Currently we rent them as play boats or "Duckies" on the Gulkana River so this will be a good option for those not wanting to take a traditional 14 foot raft or adding to the normal 14 foot raft. Always remember they are not designed for big loads and anything above class 2+ water!

Look us up!

Walt

http://www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post video of rowing them over the falls and I will be impressed. At least the portage will be fairly easy compared to a full size raft.

Naaaaaa...I stay away from those falls! No death wish here!

I am always looking for something else, some new way to safely have fun! How about this ...I will set my GoPro on my head as I walk my 30 pound fish cat on my shoulders headed for the pond on Portage #1....Going to be fun!

Walt

I led a group of 14 to 18 year old Boy Scouts on the Delta trip last year using similar boats. Most of the boys were in one man cataraft boats but they weren't nice name brand boats like the FishCats. I don't remember our total group number. But we had two people in Kayaks, one pack raft, about 8 or 9 in one-man cats, and I rowed a full-sized 14-ft raft. I didn't want to bring the big raft but because I was responsible for such a large number of relatively inexperienced teenagers, I thought bringing the big raft for support in case of an emergency was wise.

The one-man cats did great. The boys were able to pack an entire week worth of gear and they worked great in the little bit of rapids on that river. The one disadvantage is it really takes two guys to portage them. But they are easy to portage with two guys.

I have also brought these along on several gulkana river trips. I saw one guy try to take one down the falls and he ended up riding it out upside down.

Anyway, they work great for multi-day trips and I personally saw a bunch of them do the Delta.

I Love It!

I will take my GoPro along and post the footage on my website with lots on the portage. If this ends up being successful I think we will have a new service option and the cost will be only $65 a day!

Walt
    Attached Images Attached Images

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I've got a friend who has floated Paxson lake on down in the sportsmans warehouse cats. He runs the falls on the gulkana with them, delta looks to be a whole other story.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith