Thread: Oh, the agony...

Default Oh, the agony...

Oh, the agony of trying to decide if this the right time to go or not... If you go and get skunked, you feel dumb... But if you don't go and it was the peak and you miss it, you feel dumber...

If I wasn't going to be on the water in PWS this weekend, I'd definately go. It'll be crowded, but if you don't get much you can always try to go back. If you don't go and it was great then you will be kicking yourself.

Don't you feel a little cough coming on and a little feverish right now? I think you should leave work.

I've ran out of sick days, so now I'm calling in dead.

If I go one more time during the weekend, my wife will call in dead for me.

Yesterday's Red Weir Count 43,014 - Go NOW

Default dont worry

there will be a bunch of us idiots down there this weekend complaining about where the fish are

we'll be in boat staying well away from the conga dancers.

of course - the 2 hours wait to get in and out of the river is gonna blow chunks too.

One thing to keep in Mind. They extended the commercial guys til 11 PM last night (thursday), and at the time of this writing (11:53 AM) they haven't released the commercial guys to fish, which indicated to me that they may be in the 36 hour window where they won't let them fish until tomorrow. However, on the recording which was updated at 11 AM, he did say something about the possibility of fishing in the Kasilof one half mile later this afternoon. How that would affect the 36 hour window, I don't know.

Default Check The Weather

South winds blow the fish in, it's just a plain fact. Check the marine forecast for Kenai Alaska @ www.wunderground.com. Then check the commercial openers recorded hotline at 907-262-9611.

Suggested tips:
    1. A heavy duty wagon is a must
    2. The more people helping, the better
    3. Bring a piece of plywood with a nail in one end to hold the head of the fish and you hold the tail for gutting the fish. Cover the nail for transport and for heaven's sake; take it with you.
    4. Bring a few garbage bags and take a few moments to pick up litter. If we all police our dipnet sites we might be able to reduce the fees paid for the cleanup.
    5. After you process your fish, take the carcasses to the Wildlife place in portage, they can really use the extra food.
    6. If you're gimpy like me, bring an extra couple of $10 bills to pay a couple of stout kids to push your fish up to the road (if you're in Kenai).
    7. SHARP FILLET KNIVES (duh)
    8. Have fun. (duh again)
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

we just got back, got 30- *(didnt want any more)* or could have had 1000 hit it now or your gonna miss out (btw fish are huge, largest was pushing 10lbs+)

The city really doesn't even pay for the cleanup. The Boys & Girls Club do it to teach their members a little bit about caring for the environment and the community in which they live. I wouldn't plan on any reduced fees, unless you are a City of Kenai resident. There has been some talk at the City Council about waiving fees for city residents as they are already paying a mill rate to cover services provided at the beach. How they would document and enforce this remains to be seen though. When it was first talked about at a city council meeting, there were a couple of council members wanting to know how much revenue would be lost by doing this. That was just enough to delay any change this year. Who knows what next year may bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    South winds blow the fish in, it's just a plain fact. Check the marine forecast for Kenai Alaska @ www.wunderground.com. Then check the commercial openers recorded hotline at 907-262-9611.

Suggested tips:
    1. A heavy duty wagon is a must
    2. The more people helping, the better
    3. Bring a piece of plywood with a nail in one end to hold the head of the fish and you hold the tail for gutting the fish. Cover the nail for transport and for heaven's sake; take it with you.
    4. Bring a few garbage bags and take a few moments to pick up litter. If we all police our dipnet sites we might be able to reduce the fees paid for the cleanup.
    5. After you process your fish, take the carcasses to the Wildlife place in portage, they can really use the extra food.
    6. If you're gimpy like me, bring an extra couple of $10 bills to pay a couple of stout kids to push your fish up to the road (if you're in Kenai).
    7. SHARP FILLET KNIVES (duh)
    8. Have fun. (duh again)

Quote Originally Posted by TheManInStripes View Post
    The city really doesn't even pay for the cleanup.
    The fees were initially put in place to cover the cost of cleanup and outhouse maintenance... but realistically they (the fees) aren't going to go away. A revenue stream, once established, is very hard to get rid of no matter how hard the dipnet user group may or may not fight for it. But really, if we all did our part to take more out than we bring in then the place would be a lot more tolerable... aside from the punget olifactory offense of rotting fish that is.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Fees

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    The fees were initially put in place to cover the cost of cleanup and outhouse maintenance... but realistically they (the fees) aren't going to go away. A revenue stream, once established, is very hard to get rid of no matter how hard the dipnet user group may or may not fight for it. But really, if we all did our part to take more out than we bring in then the place would be a lot more tolerable... aside from the punget olifactory offense of rotting fish that is.
    I never complain about cleanup fees, boat ramp fees, parking fees in this state. I'll happily pay the fees, considering we have zero sales tax and zero state income tax, and a permanent fund dividend. I used to get mad in Oregon when they added ramp and park fees since we were already taxed to death, but not in this state.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.