Thread: Canoe Caribou Float - Tangle Lakes through the Delta River?

Default Canoe Caribou Float - Tangle Lakes through the Delta River?

Hey Guys,
    I was wondering/hoping someone may be able to give me some insight into taking a canoe across the Tangle Lakes and down the Delta to the Richardson. I've never done the trip but from researching it it's definitely doable. I was wondering about a couple aspects though. We'll be doing it during the last week of August.
    1- I've never hunted Unit 13 for caribou so is this timeframe a decent one for this area of it?
    2- Trying to get away from the crowds is a major factor in this so I was wondering what the motorized access was like back into this area. We'll be paddling and walking obviously, just don't know if it's accessible by others on their machines.
    3- Does anyone know of a shuttle service that will bring our rig to the pullout for us?

Any advise or tips any of you would be willing to share, even beyond the above questions, would be greatly appreciated.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Shoot me a PM and I can fill you in on the Delta. I have run it about 5-6 times and can fill you in.

We put clients on that section every summer. Its a great trip but not much for caribou.

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Well.......it was do'able 48 years ago, so I would guess it is now. It is just trees and river, it would be a total waste of effort to try to hunt caribou, as you can only see trees. I don't remember any open area, like a meadow, that you could see or hunt anything. It is a fun float, and fairly good fishing.

Ok...Lets take a look.

The trip is fairly straight forward but there is very little caribou movement through that area. Lots of timber and very little open areas to glass and see game movement. Always keep in mind that there is a double portage at the end of the lakes and it is a whopper. It will take you 2-3 hours to do so plan on it.

what else?

Walt

I appreciate the responses guys. Looks like I'll probably be reverting back to my original plan of biking into the CCUA. I'm not even the one with the tag, just going to be helping a friend out on his first hunt up here and was just spitballing ideas. Again I appreciate the insight, thanks.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Ben,
    You have a Unit 13 tag, right?
    If that's the case, I floated the Lakes with my brother last fall, first week of September and we connected on the first day. Message me for details.