Thread: 800 Etec

Default 800 Etec

I inherited a Skidoo with a 800 etec a while back. It isn't running, it appears the engine has overheated, thermostat housing has a hole melted in it and several plastic lines have also melted. The engine pulls over fine, has compression and looking in the plug hole doesn't reveal any apparent damage.
    I'm thinking I will pull the engine and take a better look at things like the water/oil pump.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a shop on the peninsula that could do a pressure test and ultimately go through the engine if I find out that's what's needed?

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I inherited a Skidoo with a 800 etec a while back. It isn't running, it appears the engine has overheated, thermostat housing has a hole melted in it and several plastic lines have also melted. The engine pulls over fine, has compression and looking in the plug hole doesn't reveal any apparent damage.
    I'm thinking I will pull the engine and take a better look at things like the water/oil pump.

Anyone have any suggestions as to a shop on the peninsula that could do a pressure test and ultimately go through the engine if I find out that's what's needed?
    The coolant won't get hot enough to melt any of that. Something else happened. Do you have any pics of the damage. My son Justin could probably give you some pointers with a good pic. He wrenched for Compeaus Skidoo in Fairbanks until recently.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

When you say compression...just how much do you have left??

I agree, the coolant wonít get that hot before itís literally overflowing and spewing out of the overflow.

Something is not right there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Doug. I can't figure out how to post pics on here. But the two small red plastic lines on the front of the engine melted as well as another plastic hose going to the rear of the engine. The noise detector on the head also melted a bit. As far as the thermostat housing goes it definitely melted and blew out on the front side of the housing.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    When you say compression...just how much do you have left??

I agree, the coolant wonít get that hot before itís literally overflowing and spewing out of the overflow.

Something is not right there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I spent an hour last night looking for my compression gauge. Odds have it my boy left it somewhere never to be found again..... Going to borrow one and check it out then I'll have a better idea.