Thread: Sat phone service recommendations

Default Sat phone service recommendations

I just purchased a Iridium satellite phone and I'm looking for recommendations regarding service plans, best rates, etc. I'm really only interested in activating it on a month to month basis because I'll only be needing it for the occasional hunt or remote float trip. I know that Surveyors Exchange has monthly plans but I was wondering if anyone has any better options to recommend. Thanks for any and all help.

I've used Surveyors Exchange northern lights plan myself the past few years. It isn't really a true month-to-month though, its a 6-month activation that comes with a set number of minutes, 300 I believe. If you renew, then any unused minutes roll over. I have mainly used the phone for remote fishing trips and hunting season. It was the most economical plan I had found and has worked flawlessly for the past several seasons. Would be interested in hearing as well if there is a better deal to be had.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

So far, with the limited research I've done, I found a company out of Canada that offers a service that is based on a month to month plan. There's a $35 one time activation fee, then it's 59.99/month and includes 100 minutes/month that can be used anywhere in the world. This plan can be canceled at any time without any penalty fees. They also offer longer plans that are a little better deal and monthly plans, with more or less minutes included, at varying fees. www.roadpost.com

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    So far, with the limited research I've done, I found a company out of Canada that offers a service that is based on a month to month plan. There's a $35 one time activation fee, then it's 59.99/month and includes 100 minutes/month that can be used anywhere in the world. This plan can be canceled at any time without any penalty fees. They also offer longer plans that are a little better deal and monthly plans, with more or less minutes included, at varying fees. www.roadpost.com
    Troutbum, Iím using Surveyors Exchange, but this plan youíve mentioned has me interested since you say itís worldwide. But I canít find where it says the plan is worldwide on the website.

And do you know if your minutes rollover month to month? I can see using it say from July to November, from Alaska to the NW, and would be sweet if did that and the minutes rolled over. The thing I donít like about my plan with Surveyors Exchange is that itís Alaska only and a nationwide plan costs a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There really isnít a good option troutbum. I get my minutes from the surveyors exchange and pay 200 for 200 minutes that last 6 months, it actually comes out to around 240 dollars( more on that later) . I usually get it in May when I start playing outside and it will last me through hunting season. I wish I could buy less minutes because I never use them all but thatís the cheapest plan so I donít have minutes over the winter that I WILL NEVER USE. By purchasing the 6 month plan you have to get a new SIM card( if you donít get more minutes before the 6 months, you need to buy a new SIM card every year at around 40 bucks). I guess for 250 bucks a year itís pretty good insurance whenever Iím out in the sticks . Deadwolf, the minutes DO NOT rollover.

I rented a SAT phone for our Caribou hunt last year. You can keep em. To me it was almost useless. Next time im taking a Inreach with me

Depending on your mission a Inreach will do fine. I am flying so being able to talk with Flight Service from the field is a important thing for me. The Rescue guys are going to start having Inreach on all the birds so you will have good communication in a emergency. Iridium sat phones work fine even above the brooks. No one else has the sat coverage they do.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
    Troutbum, Iím using Surveyors Exchange, but this plan youíve mentioned has me interested since you say itís worldwide. But I canít find where it says the plan is worldwide on the website.

And do you know if your minutes rollover month to month? I can see using it say from July to November, from Alaska to the NW, and would be sweet if did that and the minutes rolled over. The thing I donít like about my plan with Surveyors Exchange is that itís Alaska only and a nationwide plan costs a lot more.

When I talked with them on the phone the rep said that it was a worldwide service plan (could be used anywhere in the world), and like we already talked about, the 100 minutes/month donít rollover.

In the past Iíve always rented a sat phone and the only reason I went ahead and bought one is because I got a really good deal on it. A sat phone is an absolute must for me, especially when Iím on a remote solo hunt or on a remote hunt with one of my young children. My wife requires that I call in nightly, just to hear my voice and know all is well.

I rented my Sat phone from Surveyer's exchange. Dont remember the brand. Tried calling the wife to check in. You even swat at a bug it would lose service. I final gave up . Was no good to talk to my transporter cause he was flying all day and uses a inreach. He had internet at his base camp via satilite internet. The Inreach works much better in my opinion. He can use it while flying and the wife can log on and see where you are at any time or send her a text. It links with your cell phone thru blue-tooth. Surveyer's exchange does not rent inreach devices thou.