Thread: Apparently paint stripper is very temp sensitive.

Default Apparently paint stripper is very temp sensitive.

I have a pretty beat up set of EDO 2960s I am trying tp bring back to life. Even though it was 45 degrees at the airport today, the expensive paint stripper basically did nothing... I was hoping to pressure wash a lot of it. The instructions claim it works from 45 to 95 degrees.
    I wonder how that orange based paint stripper stuff does on cool days??? Usually float lacquer is not all that hard to remove.

I wish I could find a set of PK-3000s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Since I am stuck outside I tried using the plastic tenting trick in the direct sunlight. The super expensive stuff was not working.
    So I tried some pump action stuff from Ulmers. It ate my gloves and burned my hands, so I figure it must be good.
    These poor floats had many layer of paint and somebody had been bondo skim coating them over and over.

had some fabric repairs done and the plane came back with a bunch of overspray or something on the windows that my window cleaner won't take off. i want to be cautious in how to try and get it cleaned off since they were in excellent (clean and non scratched) condition prior to having the repairs done. do you have any suggestions?
    thanks, sorry to hijack your thread but i figured they were somewhat related.

1. First try some GOOP hand cleaner. The non abrasive type. Real Goop, not the copies. Smear some on a small area, wait for a few inutes and then clean with a soft cloth. Goop will also work on gasket material to remove old paint and make it softer. AND,,, the next time you are spraying near a window, just smear goop over the window first. It will protect the window and can be wiped / washed off later.

2. If that does not work, it is time for the big guns. Reducer or Lacquer Thinner. BUT these MAY EAT YOUR WINDOW, unless they are Lexan or acrylic.
    So you would need to take a q-tip with a little lacquer thinner on it and then find a little corner area and test it. If it discolors the tiny drop size area, then you have plexiglass.
    3. If it is plexiglass you will have to polish the overspray off with a super fine finish polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    1. First try some GOOP hand cleaner. The non abrasive type. Real Goop, not the copies. Smear some on a small area, wait for a few inutes and then clean with a soft cloth. Goop will also work on gasket material to remove old paint and make it softer. AND,,, the next time you are spraying near a window, just smear goop over the window first. It will protect the window and can be wiped / washed off later.

2. If that does not work, it is time for the big guns. Reducer or Lacquer Thinner. BUT these MAY EAT YOUR WINDOW, unless they are Lexan or acrylic.
    So you would need to take a q-tip with a little lacquer thinner on it and then find a little corner area and test it. If it discolors the tiny drop size area, then you have plexiglass.
    3. If it is plexiglass you will have to polish the overspray off with a super fine finish polish.
    thanks for the tips. i'm almost worried that lacquer thinner might have been used by the mechanic to clean the overspray cause on the back windows there is some weird stain pattern. ugh, hopefully it's just some weird overspray that the goop will take off for me. thanks!

Well it turns out that the best paint stripper for outside in cool weather is the Trigger Spray stuff. It will eat nitrel gloves. It also works on old Bondo.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post

thanks for the tips again and sorry to continue hijacking your thread. i couldn't find any real goop so i first tried flitz which helped slightly but then picked up some 'mothers plastic polish' from o'reilly's (the stuff they use to remove oxidation from headlights). it has taken a lot of applications and elbow grease but has removed everything and brought some life back to the plastic windows; but it has not been easy.

Well at least something worked....

Well, I finally hire a guy from Anchor Point ( Chris 299-1040) who has a hot water (200 degrees) pressure washer. 3800 psi and 200 degrees did the trick where gallons of stripper were failing.